Administrator
    Thanks

Update > CCleaner 4.12 released

Latest version of the popular utility is available at CCleaner - Download Builds.

From CCleaner v4.12

Change log:
    Added Opera 15 and newer Saved Form Information cleaning
    Added Opera Developer Channel support
    Improved ActiveX and Class Issue Registry cleaning
    Added Facebook and Twitter cookies to Intelligent Cookie Scan
    Improved Scheduler management (CCleaner Professional only)
    Added Xilisoft Video Converter and DVD Ripper, dBpoweramp and SyncBackFree cleaning
    Improved Internet Download Manager, Oxygen XML Editor, Orbit Downloader, CA Anti-Virus, Microsoft AntiSpyware, and Vuze cleaning
    Minor GUI Improvements
    Minor bug fixes

Joe

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2014-03-25),satrow (2014-03-25),Sudo15 (2014-03-25)

Thanks
    FWIW...

<soapbox>For the last few years I've kept a current free version of CCleaner installed. I use it, analyze only (Run as administrator), for comparison to the effectiveness of Windows Cleanmgr setup using the /sageset switch and run via Task Manager using the /sagerun switch on a nightly basis. From time to time I'll run CCleaner, and it always finds 400 - 500MB of files to remove, some of which are Temporary Internet Files. I have the TIF cache size set, so IE always throws out the oldest to make way for the newest. The majority of the files CCleaner finds are various Windows log files, and I would rather keep those. At any given time there are 3 - 4 MB of temp files.

So for cleaning up old files, Windows Cleanmgr running through Task Scheduler leaves me with "a little dust in the corners" and nothing more; certainly nothing worth worrying about with the size of today's hard drives.

As for the registry, I have always advocated against the use of any "registry cleaner" at any time for any reason. The only exception I have is REVO Uninstaller removing leftover registry entries when uninstalling a program, where very selective targeting is used for highly specific registry entries, (great for uninstalling printers and bloated AV/AM programs). As for unused entries or missing shared dll's or what-have-you, these have zero effect on system performance.</soapbox>
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Same here... use & recommend. Clean-up on steroids , sage, etc. and CCleaner... only the clean-up function. General rule, especially for lay people... do not mess w/ the Registry.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    I find temporary files just take up disk space with minimal to no impact on performance as long as you have plenty of disk space, usually not an issue with today's large hard drives. I run cleanup no more than once or twice a year more out of habit than anything. One folder cleanup utilities miss is the download folder which can get quite large over time.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    I just posted the Ccleaner news because I know many use it. I don't. I use Windows Cleanmgr. Periodically, once a month or two, I run it and use "clean up system files". I wait until I'm reasonably sure the current month (or last couple of months) patches haven't done any harm and delete the backup files.

As anyone who has read my posts about registry cleaning goes, I pretty much agree with Bruce. I will go to great lengths to avoid "registry cleaning". The only exceptions will be if I have to clean up a system that is malfunctioning from a software install/uninstall or a virus.

Joe