3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Susan Bradley's article about securing XPs

A while back, Sue Bradley wrote:
    http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...drops-support/

In the article, she discussed keeping XP as part of one's personal network, but disabling web browsing.
    I've done that. But is disabling the browser tantamount to securing the computer? I mean, my XP browsers now don't work. Does this mean the computer is safe?

(I only use it now as part of my network, and I just back up some files to my XP computer).

Mel

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It really depends what else you're going to do with it.

Microsoft also advises against using USB drives on XP:

"Connecting removable storage devices to Windows XP systems should be avoided."

Cyber threats to Windows XP and guidance for Small Businesses and Individual Consumers

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Again, my ONLY use is to backup my data files. There are files I update every day. I save it on my laptop, then in dropbox, and then on my XP computer. I do all this via my laptop. No USB.

Mel

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd say as long as you don't have any shares other than All Users (empty) on the XP system you should be very safe. This would then require you to access data shares to be backed up FROM the XP system but that's if it's not headless and hidden away somewhere as well (basically just a server). If you do have shares on the XP system then a virus might gain the same access to them that you have.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fun

I have no idea what you just said.

Translator?

mel

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, do you have a dropbox folder on the XP system? Or how do you save files from the laptop to the XP system? Somewhere there has to be a shared folder either on the laptop or on the XP computer (or use Dropbox folder) in order for you or a program to access to copy files to. All users or SharedDocs is the only folder shared by default on an XP system.

So if you are saving files from the laptop to XP and not using SharedDocs, there must be another shared folder you are saving those file in on XP. If that is the case then any virus like cryptolocker may have the same access to that shared backup folder on XP that you do.

The reverse of that is to have the shared folder on the laptop and copy the files from the laptop using the XP system. Then the XP system requires no shared folders on it and is not vulnerable to network shared folder (or mapped drive is almost the same thing) access infections.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dropbox is not on my XP.
    I do have a shared folder on my XP. Say its is called MOVE.
    So, when I update an important file on my laptop (a W7 computer, kept updated and scanned regularly),
    I then use Windows Explorer on my laptop and save it on my XP machine in the MOVE folder.

So, I guess if someone had control of my laptop then they would also have control of my XP (MOVE folder). Is that what you are saying?

If so, then I consider my XP secure in the sense that it would be as secure as my W7 laptop. Correct?

My concern is insecurity of my XP computer given that it is XP and I am no longer updating it.

Thanks for your help

Mel

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by compiler View Post
    I then use Windows Explorer on my laptop and save it on my XP machine in the MOVE folder.

So, I guess if someone had control of my laptop then they would also have control of my XP (MOVE folder). Is that what you are saying?

If so, then I consider my XP secure in the sense that it would be as secure as my W7 laptop. Correct?

Mel
    Yes, more secure than your laptop in fact, only vulnerable from the laptop via the same access privilege you have to the Move folder, if that is critical data though, the importance of protecting that vulnerability is higher.

Also if you read the article linked to in post 2, USB access restrictions only apply to a situation where the computer(s) are easily accessed in person by one or more people who may want to do unauthorized things with them. USB thumb or portable drive data transfer in a private situation where only you have access is an excellent method for secure transfers without the need of a network shared folder; not quite as convenient for sure, but just that little bit more secure.