2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 Icons on the move

Just lately, after years of having the Desktop look just the way I want it on this Win 7 Ultimate machine, they're moving around. This is a pain in the-you-know-where. I can re-arrange them of course, but days, or weeks, later they'll be shuffled like a deck of cards. Today was different. I put the machine into Hibernate mode, and when it woke up the icons had not only shuffled around, they'd changed size and spacing. How can this happen? Nothing had been installed, nothing uninstalled or deleted. I've found out how to change the spacing, vertical and horizontal, screen resolution has not changed from default/optimum, but the icons look BIG, and ugly, like Windows 3.0 on an 800 X 600 display. How do I get back to what I had?

Thanks,

David

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Size should be easy if you haven't figured that out yet, just select one icon and rotate the center mouse wheel while holding down the Ctrl key.

As far as not holding size and position I'm not sure, display properties only sees one monitor? No Fences or any theme that might alter? One thing you can do to mitigate the problem is install Iconoid and save the icon positions once they are arranged as preferred. Then if they go off target at least you can restore them all immediately to where you had them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2014-03-26)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You could also try a restore point.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-03-26 at 14:18.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2014-03-26)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=F.U.N. downtown;946041]Size should be easy if you haven't figured that out yet, just select one icon and rotate the center mouse wheel while holding down the Ctrl key.QUOTE]

WOW! All these years and I never found out about that neat trick! Not as easy if you don't have a mouse with a centre wheel, but I do have a graphics tablet and one of the buttons can be configured to act like the wheel. And I should have thought of the restore point, that was just dumb.

Thank you both,

David

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It gets weirder! I re-sized the icons which left them scattered all over the Desktop, like an explosion, then re-arranged things the way I want them. Switched to IE 10 to check Hotmail (nothing risqué), and when I looked at the Desktop the icons were all super-sized and shuffled again. No themes, one monitor, no changes! I'll get Iconoid, it's got to be better than playing hunt the icon.

David

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you reboot after the restore point had completed - I did

Thanks
    Here's a possible solution: Turn off Auto Arrange Icons.
    Right-click in an empty area of the screen, and hold the cursor over View. Uncheck Auto Arrange Icons. You might also check (or uncheck) Align Icons to Grid.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't use a restore point mainly because I got things looking right, smaller icons arranged the way I wanted them. After I switched to IE 10 to download Iconoid and then went back to the Desktop I found the icons had changed again. I have never used Auto Arrange, how can Windows know why I arrange things in my own peculiar way, I do use the grid, it does keep icons lined up. But it wasn't until I was re-re-arranging that I discovered that NotePad++ which I have used for years had vanished, not just the icon, but the program files and the folder too. Have scanned with Malawarebytes, and CCleaner, and Avast Pro, which is running full time. No problems found. I probably won't realize what else has vanished until I need to use some program or utility I haven't used for some time. Ah well, it's Windows.

Now might be the time to use a restore point!!

Thanks again for the suggestions.

David

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You will not believe this, well I don't anyway. I re-installed NotePad++, then with everything looking good installed and ran Iconoid. I chose the defaults for now and clicked on Save Settings (I think that was the wording). So now what could go wrong??? Back at the Desktop I opened Word, a few seconds later the Desktop went blank behind the Word window. Hmmmm! I closed Word, the icons reappeared, but they were back to the biggies! Still I didn't need to worry, I have Iconoid looking after my interests. Clicked on Restore. Nothing happened, still got big icons and they are shuffled. And as I write this in IE10 I can see that the Desktop is blank.

Am I having fun yet I wonder?

David

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Was that a System restore point or an option in Iconoid that didn't have any effect ?

Don't know if rebuilding the icon cache would help, but if you used System restore and it didn't reinstate them, then running a sfc /scannow as an administrator from the command prompt may help.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried to use Iconoid Restore to put just the icons back, that didn't work, and the blank Desktop persisted. So I uninstalled Iconoid, put the icons the way I want them and have made another image. For two whole hours now the icons have remained in place. Maybe, just maybe, they'll stay that way.

David

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoceros View Post
    I tried to use Iconoid Restore to put just the icons back, that didn't work, and the blank Desktop persisted. So I uninstalled Iconoid, put the icons the way I want them and have made another image. For two whole hours now the icons have remained in place. Maybe, just maybe, they'll stay that way.

David
    And was that on subsequent reboots ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a similar issue. I'll get icons on top of icons, etc. I'm almost positive it has something to do with my resolution. It only happens when I play a video game (Call of Duty). When I'm done playing it and go back to my screen, some of the icons a misplaced. I haven't been able to find a solution for this and I've been looking for a very long time.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by James S View Post
    I have a similar issue. I'll get icons on top of icons, etc. I'm almost positive it has something to do with my resolution. It only happens when I play a video game (Call of Duty). When I'm done playing it and go back to my screen, some of the icons a misplaced. I haven't been able to find a solution for this and I've been looking for a very long time.
    Could be worth reinstalling the chipset/video drivers ?