Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    You need the programs installed with an account which is a member of the adminstrators group.

Joe
    Sorry to be so dense on this. Obviously the programs have to be installed before I can use Easy Transfer to transfer the program settings.

So you are saying that the programs should be installed using the dummy account, which must have administrative rights. Is that correct?

Then I would follow step #6 in post #10 to transfer my files and program settings.
    Then I would give my 'HMW' account administrative rights.
    Once everything seemed in order, then I would delete the dummy account.

Is that the correct order of things?

Incidentally, I don't use any password protection, since I am the only user of these computers.

Harry

Administrator
    Thanks
    That is the way I'd do it. When you install the programs be careful to look for an option that says something like "install for all users".

NOTE: concerning accounts. I always have an extra account which is a member of administrators group. BUT, I do not logon to the account unless something really bad happens to my other accounts. That way I'll have a relatively clean account to debug and cleanup the system.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe:

Thanks again for all the tips and advice. Hopefully when I get my new computer and use Easy Transfer I'll get though it fairly painlessly. If not, I know who to contact.

Harry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Good luck. Let us know how it goes. We'll be here.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe:

I finally determined how to register and post to a Microsoft support forum. That is by far the most difficult registration process I have ever seen for a forum. You would think I was trying to access some secret Microsoft data!

Anyway, I pointed out the conflict between two Microsoft documents regarding Easy Transfer--whether to transfer the data from the old to the new Computer using Easy Transfer 1st, or to install the programs 1st, and then transfer the data using Easy Transfer.

I received an answer from a Microsoft support engineer, who said the following:

"Install the programs first in the new Computer which you had already in the old Computer. However, make sure that the software which you were using in previous version of Windows are compatible with Windows 7.

Once the programs are installed, then running the Windows Easy Transfer should transfer the settings and files of those programs. This is the best way to use the Windows Easy Transfer. "

Is this really correct? I'll find out! (I plan to create an Image backup both before and after I install the programs, in case there is a problem.)

And thanks for all your help on setting up my new Win 7 desktop--which is being built now.

Harry

Administrator
    Thanks
    I would think the only thing that makes a difference on the new PC is that the programs whose settings you want transferred be installed when Easy Transfer is run on the new PC.

You may run Easy Transfer on the old PC any time you want.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe:

Back in Message #11, you said:

>>You don't want data to go in "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)". Those folders and sub-folders are much more locked down. A program may not be able to access or modify data in those folders.<<

As I said earlier, I will put all my data in legal data files.

But that brings up a related question. Because I have lots of programs, on my XP I create sub-folders under 'Program Files', such as 'Communication', 'Hardware', 'Health', 'Photo', 'Reference', 'Utilities', etc., and them place the relevant programs in the correct subfolder.

Will Windows 7 accept my subfolders for programs, or do I have to have one very long list of programs, which is the Windows default method?

Harry

Thanks

I believe you are confusing Start Menu Programs w/ Program Files. In the latter instance I can not think of a reason to so arrange your directory structure (unless you as some members do, use a separate partition for such) it would not be a trivial thing to do so. I will let more knowledgable folk here answer definatively for Transfer Wizards ability AFAIK the Program Menu can be made to work similiary (where is that spell checker for Linux??).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wavy:

On my XP I created those subfolders in Program Files. It's easy to do. I also use a similar structure in the Start Menu Program list. It just saves searching if I need to access some of the program related files, because the name of the manufacturer and the name of the program are often not the same, which makes it harder to find the actual program.

But because Windows 7 has tighter control on these things than XP does, is why I asked the questions.

In either case, I would only use Easy Transfer for the document related files.

Harry

Administrator
    Thanks
    You could make subfolders under Program Files as long as you are able to perform a custom install and specify the destination folder. I don't really see the point with current versions of Windows. By default, programs do not store data in Program Files any more. I seldom see a need to actually reference Program Files directly. But, if you choose to organize that way it is fine. It is your PC.

Joe

Thanks

Harry
    My bad, MY assumption was wrong
    If on install each program in XP were installed in a sub folder then yes much less nontrivial.
    And yes W7 does seem to have a mind of its own, I am still trying to figure it out. My own confusion is exacerbated by my mainly using W7 at work with a roaming profile in a regular user account. Despite my intentions my home install does not get much use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12