Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Canned air vs. blower

I was going to ask if anyone knew of a good cheap source of canned air( I just hate that I can walk into a dollar store and get 16 oz can of spray wax, window cleaner, bubbly bathrooom stuff etc. for a buck, but am charged $6-$9 for 10oz can of well AIR. Well I know may the propellant is more costly than wax and quite a bit less propellant. But still.... My box is waaaay due for a good cleaning so I was looking for the best price on canned air to replace the one I am sure to use up. I came across a 2 wire a/c blower for sale w/ excellent reviews, mfr link https://www.metrovacworld.com/DataVac_Electric_Duster Has any one tried this option ??

Attached Images Attached Images
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    If you have a portable air compressor lying around the garage that'll do the trick quite nicely, ...and then some.
    If not, smile, and get the canned air and pay 6 to 9 dollars for it.

Another excellent alternative would be the dishwasher. Just make certain; 1. the temperature doesn't exceed melting point of
    plastics, 2. the water isn't too hard, and finally, 3. you dry everything really well in the sun, on the dash of your vehicle
    for a few days, at least.

The dishwasher bit is an effective red neck solution, which I'm told works surprisingly well for cigarette smoke.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    I think I will pass on the dish washer, the detergent used would be way too caustic and I might want to use the computer the same week. And thank goodness I no longer have to worry about the smoke.

Ah seeing your sig reminds me I want to find just what cpu chipset I put it forementioned box.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Canned; but, bigger can. This is what I just bought, but, I have enough tasks to justify the cost.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    i use a vacuum cleaner to clean computers. Some people claim vacuum cleaners generate staic electricity which could be bad for your PC but I leave everything plugged in (except the mains power) to provide discharge paths and have never had a problem.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Another excellent alternative would be the dishwasher. Just make certain; 1. the temperature doesn't exceed melting point of
    plastics, 2. the water isn't too hard, and finally, 3. you dry everything really well in the sun, on the dash of your vehicle
    for a few days, at least.

The dishwasher bit is an effective red neck solution, which I'm told works surprisingly well for cigarette smoke.
    I don't know of any rednecks who would put electronics in the dishwasher.

I do, however, know a mechanic who pressure washes the ignition coils when he cleans your engine. He ruined mine when he did that.

Thanks
    That is an interesting package, if I lived in a house with a nice basement or garage I might jump on it. But as it is I am running out of space with things scattered all about, I am in fact taking the next 3 days off to try to get a bit more organized and clean up my act. The blower is a managible size. I will be using my last can of air this weekend but I am thinking of ordering the blower tommorow. ( I was wondering if I could just wait for a windy day and blow all the dust round my home in the air and let the wind blow it away. (Hey Clint hows that for a red neck solution ?? ) I just resolved a point of confusion on my part: It is FF on my Mint install that does not seem to be spell checking, it is working on my XP box) As for the cost , well maybe I'll need a part time job after I retire.
    Thanks for the feedback, I will let you know the outcome.

David

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post

I do, however, know a mechanic who pressure washes the ignition coils when he cleans your engine. He ruined mine when he did that.
    Maybe not personally, but you know me. I've used a dishwasher; no detergent, just water. I've also used the shower. Gently shake off excess water, then let dry a minimum of 72 hours.

I rescued, among other things, a keyboard that had hot chocolate spilled on it. Successfully cleaned a CPU that had thermal paste on some pins. I wouldn't recommend it on a hard disk drive, though.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    ( I was wondering if I could just wait for a windy day and blow all the dust round my home in the air and let the wind blow it away. (Hey Clint hows that for a red neck solution ?? )

One of the other reasons I bought the compressor; hundreds of books in a bunch of bookcases...the tops of the books get all loaded up with dust and it's a huge pain to clean them all...put a fan by a window blowing out and start blowing is the idea.

Thanks
    Mmm and I do have a big a&& floor fan and lots of nooks and crannies it is ulikely to get a good dusting ny other way. I maybe should invest in a dust mask too

I will order when I get home.

Best to all David
    David

Thanks
    It's not uncommon to place keyboards in the dishwasher, in fact, the common household dishwasher has many
    off label uses, many of which I'm sure you don't want to know about.
    Of course, everyone and their dog will warn you away from it, but it's completely doable;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKUFMYe75Bw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp8VApocfKQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahhSDEgkqQ8

BTW, I've put dirty fans in the dishwasher before, and they turned out just fine. The trick is to really ensure they're dried.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Mike Feury (2014-03-24)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    It's not uncommon to place keyboards in the dishwasher, in fact, the common household dishwasher has many
    off label uses, many of which I'm sure you don't want to know about.
    Of course, everyone and their dog will warn you away from it, but it's completely doable;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKUFMYe75Bw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp8VApocfKQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahhSDEgkqQ8

BTW, I've put dirty fans in the dishwasher before, and they turned out just fine. The trick is to really ensure they're dried.
    Dude....I watched all 3 video's....I'm flabbergasted, I can't believe my eyes. I tell you what....I'm game to try it....just to say I've done it.

Thanks
    Watched them too, ok w/ a bit of ff. Seeing is believing I still gotta question the long term effects of the caustic detergent and what about vented caps? As the third guy said "if you have nothing to lose.."

I do remember reading about a guy who kept a spare keyboard in his swimming pool. I have just washed keyboards. And then taken them apart to find water where I am convinced it would have been a month later, except in the hot Arizona sun.

I am still coveting that compressor, same day at w***m*** . Oh my another toy, and I am still playing with my cheap, chinese walkytalky..........

And I am watching videos instead of cleaning.

Thanks
    I wouldn't have believed it if only one person said it, but there seems to be some agreement about the "redneck" dishwasher method.

I will use it as a last resort, but I will use it if necessary.

Duck Dynasty comes to mind at about this time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I wouldn't have believed it if only one person said it, but there seems to be some agreement about the "redneck" dishwasher method.

I will use it as a last resort, but I will use it if necessary.

Duck Dynasty comes to mind at about this time.
    Fred Langa has used and recommended the method. His example was a floppy drive - and it worked.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast