2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Multiple partitions - Are they necessary?

My recently acquired laptop, ASUS X551CA, has a 500Gb HDD with a puzzling array of partitions on it.

Drive Partitions.png

None of them appear to contain anything. The OS is accessed via a boot manager, which I assume is in the boot sector of the HDD.

Can I delete them and absorb them into the two working partitions, or is this likely to upset some operations in the OS (Win8.1)?
    Last edited by A1ex; 2014-03-26 at 06:47. Reason: Extra info

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    A1ex,

You're talking about a total of 1.5Gb a very very small portion of the entire disk space.
    The EFI partition is necessary to boot! The System Recovery partitions are used to do a Factory Reset of your computer. Although you might be able to remove these partitions I would not recommend it if you're not sure exactly what effect they will have on your computer and it could be different for each manufacturer so if you really want to get rid of them you better check with the manufacturer's technical support people. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Like I said to you earlier in another thread; You appear to have many of these hidden partitions empty.
    The 900 and 450 MB partitions don't make any sense to me and I'm curious if this laptop was store bought or private.

The 20.1 GB partition looks like it could be for a manufacturer's "factory restore" partition, but it appears to be empty.

Options
    1. Temporarily unhide and LOOK at these volumes with a 3rd party partition tool.
    (you should confirm whether or not they are actually empty before deciding a course of action)
    2. Open an elevated command prompt while in Windows and type BCDEdit and hit enter.
    (It should tell you where your bootfiles are located)
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-03-26 at 10:56.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.