New Lounger
    Thanks

White screen on startup of Windows 7 laptop

My wife has a Folio HP laptop running Windows 7 which greeted her with a completely white screen on startup today. I have restarted several times, but am unable to boot into safe mode, because even if I start and press F8, I can't see which option to select because -- yes you guessed it -- the screen is completely white.

I tried creating a bootable usb stick, but have the same problem... I can't see the settings to change them into booting from the USB stick. (There is no DVD.)

I'm not worried about saving the data on the disk because it's all in Dropbox, but I'd like to find either a way to fix this installation, or use my backup drive to reimage the disk.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Joe

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Joe,

Do you have a monitor that you can hookup to see if it is a hardware problem with the display? There is usually a key that along with the FN key will rotate the display modes from laptop to external to both. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for getting back to me, with this good idea.

I found an HDMI connection and connected the laptop up to my monitor. The F4 key seems to be the toggle display one, and when I press it, and then enter, the laptop screen goes black, but the screen doesn't appear on the monitor. I take that to mean that the external display isn't working...

Do you agree? Any other ideas?

Joe

Thanks
    Joe,

Try doing the F4+Enter more than once as there may be more than one option.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    If you have a VGA connection available on the monitor, that might give you more success. It is a less complicated connection, and therefore there is less chance of error.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks like it is a known HP problem caused by the video cable being pinched where it runs through the hinges and works the video cable connector loose, but if you are using an USB mouse, try booting without that or anything else plugged in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3rlnuAfGzY
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-04-22 at 18:53.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for this but there's no vga connection on the laptop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No luck. My monitor doesn't seem to register any connection at all through the hdmi cable and goes into power saving mode almost immediately.