Lounger
    Thanks

Windows vs Apple

I'm still using XP and will continue to do so until I decide to buy a new computer.
    However I'm considering going to Apple.
    Any comments?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Don't make a determination now. Wait until you are ready for a new computer.

Then consider your PC usage at the time. Take a guess if that will change in the future. Set a budget. Check out Windows & Apple devices. Pick the one that suites your usage best.

Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Apple devices are great but generally cost more than Windows PCs. It's your money so check out an Apple and if you really like it buy it.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You have several options:

1) Get a Windows 7 computer. You can still buy new ones, or you can get a refurbished computer with recent hardware.
    2) Get an apple.
    3) Get a Linux computer.

I got my wife an HP Probook 4540s with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit in July, that should last her until 2020. When she does need a new computer, I will probably get her an Apple laptop. She already has an iPad and an iPhone.

Download and try Linux. If you tried it a few years ago, and decided that you would rather stay with Windows, it's time to try it again. It's really better now, and you aren't going to have the Windows option in the long term.

And the best thing about trying Linux is that it's free. You can download an .iso file from Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, Mageia, Zorin, or some other distro and install it in VirtualBox, or start it from a DVD or USB thumb drive as a live boot. Did I mention that it's free?

Thanks
    Several years ago, I was going to buy a laptop for my daughter. She wanted a Mac, but they were about twice the price as Windows laptops for the same capacity.

Also, I am totally unfamiliar with the Mac; and my anti-virus, etc., wouldn't work on the Mac. Her university didn't support the Mac, although they would allow her to connect via the Mac.

I therefore bought her a Windows laptop.

I recently installed Windows 8.1 on it, and her laptop is still going strong.

Thanks
    A new Windows 8 computer is also a viable option. If the "Metro" interface freaks you out, there are shell programs that bring back the Start Menu and will boot to the desktop so you don't have to see Metro if you don't want it. If you get to Metro by mistake, just hit Windows key + D to get back to the desktop. I've found Windows 8.1 to be the fastest desktop OS that Microsoft has released and is very stable.

Jerry

Thanks
    Microsoft vs Apple

Windows
    PROS
    Usually cheaper than Apple.
    Very similar to Windows Vist,7,8, & 8.1, in terms of software and productivity and therefore better continuity.
    Still the most popular platform around, and therefore the most supported software-wise.
    Still the easiest for the average n00b to use, even despite Windows 8, it's NOT the radical makeover
    the media dipsticks make it out to be.
    CONS
    Easier to screw up/crash even if you're not a n00b.
    Some learning & tweaking with Windows 8.
    Apple (MAC)
    PROS
    Everything tends to work right out of the box.
    Very easy to use once you've learned how.
    Much less to screw up/crash because you will not be allowed to tweak much.
    CONS
    You'll have to learn a totally different operating system AND software environment.
    Not as configurable as Windows in terms of tweaks and settings.

*Make sure that your computing usage matches your choice of hardware in whatever
    choice you make.
    *Take the time NOW to learn about your upcoming choices.
    (and I don't mean by asking opinions-start reading and researching yourself)
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-04-04 at 13:10.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.