Lounger
    Thanks

Will EMET 3.0/4.1 on Win XP deliver better than 2.1?

Hi everybody,

when running on Windows XP, will Microsoft EMET 3.0 and/or 4.1 deliver stronger mitigation (i.e. better security) then EMET 2.1? As I understand it, all mitigation techniques introduced after 2.1 are not applicable in Windows XP anyway.

The reason I ask is, I manage a network of some 20 XP machines which will be upgraded to Win 8.1 only during May/June. By now they are running EMET 2.1. So to be as secure as possible I am considering to install a newer version of EMET - IF it will provide any gain.

If so, I had again to differentiate between 3.0 and 4.1, because for 4.1 I would have to install .NET Framework 4 - would that be worth the hassle?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 1,070 Posts
    New EMET versions seem to provide better protection than previous versions, so I would definitely go with the latest.

I also don't see any problems with having .net. I would do it, if I were in your place.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

MartinT (2014-04-02)

Lounger
    Thanks
    @ruirib: Thanks for your comment. I will go for 4.1, especially because I read, that it has a protection against ROP exploits that works also for XP. It was evaluated here with some interesting general comments on EMET 4.1: http://labs.bromium.com/2014/02/24/bypassing-emet-4-1/

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Yes, newer versions are included additional protection and it's good to read that the added protection is effective in the real world .
    Rui
    -------
    R4