4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Another what-to-do article

This one is from TechRepublic and is by Tony Bradley

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...tag=RSS56d97e7

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    The author said that if you don't like the Windows 8 interface, Windows 8 "can easily be configured to boot straight to the desktop". But I found it strange that he made no mention of any of the add-ins which give you the traditional Start button / Start menu. Without that, a "desktop" person won't be happy.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Don't presume to speak for all desktop users. I'm in the desktop > 90% of the time @ work. I use Win 8.1 all day every day without any thing to give me a start menu. I don't miss it a bit and I'm quite happy with the way I operate with Win 8.1.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    ...and let's not forget Drew and Clint! (Those are the only other two I'm aware of.)

Administrator
    Thanks
    That may be because the majority of people posting in forums are ones who have a complaint about something not working. I'm sure there are many others using Win 8/8.1 who somehow manage to survive without a start menu. Of the people I know that use Win 8/8.1 on those in the Lounge are using one of the start menu replacements. The Start Screen in Windows 8.1 is easy to customize to fit what most people want out of a start menu if they are willing to analyze the way they work. IMO, the main barrier is "it is different looking so I don't like it".

Joe

Thanks
    Windows 8.1 fixed the main issues I had with Windows 8 -
    An option to disable the Hot Spots and
    An icon for Start instead of an invisible Hot Spot
    A Universal search (Programs, Control Items, and Files) at the Start Screen

Windows 8.1 Update 1 will go further by allowing Modern Apps in a Window and allow pinning them to the desktop Task Bar.

I could care less about Start Screen vs Start Menu but I still use Classic Shell for the Display Control Panel as Menu option but its not critical.

That said, a lot of my older clients don't want to invest any time learning the Windows 8 interface and programs like Classic Shell or Start is Back is a God Send to them. I've prevented a few Windows 7 purchases in lieu of Windows 8 with it.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Don't presume to speak for all desktop users. I'm in the desktop > 90% of the time @ work. I use Win 8.1 all day every day without any thing to give me a start menu. I don't miss it a bit and I'm quite happy with the way I operate with Win 8.1.

Joe
    I stand corrected. I would not presume to speak for all desktop users.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    That may be because the majority of people posting in forums are ones who have a complaint about something not working. I'm sure there are many others using Win 8/8.1 who somehow manage to survive without a start menu. Of the people I know that use Win 8/8.1 on those in the Lounge are using one of the start menu replacements. The Start Screen in Windows 8.1 is easy to customize to fit what most people want out of a start menu if they are willing to analyze the way they work. IMO, the main barrier is "it is different looking so I don't like it".

Joe
    I'm guessing that someone new to Windows, who would work better in desktop mode than in metro mode, might do just fine without the old-fashioned start button / start menu. However, most of us who have been using Windows almost since the beginning of Windows are so used to the start button / start menu that we can't live without it.

When I first installed Windows 8.0, I was determined to try my best to use it without any addins. After about a month I gave up and went with StartIsBack.

But for someone new to Windows, maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal to them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    a lot of my older clients don't want to invest any time learning the Windows 8 interface and programs like Classic Shell or Start is Back is a God Send to them. I've prevented a few Windows 7 purchases in lieu of Windows 8 with it.
    This is key. You eliminate the learning curve for those who for whatever reason aren't up to the task of learning a totally different interface. It never ceases to amaze me that Microsoft didn't think that that was important, because it seems like they have always tried to make these transitions as easy and backward-compatible as possible.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, there's no doubt in my mind all this is aimed directly at users who have been growing up in a touch-centric mobile world. At the same time however there seems to be very little demand for full-scoot desktop computers in a mobile environment in a "pad" formfactor, except possibly from some users who do not have such a touch-centric upbringing. These touch-centric users are using cloud services to perform many of the functions formerly taken care of by comprehensive programs that do not lend themselves to a touch environment in the least. Services that on a whole are not as good (comprehensive) but easier to use and "good enough" as the lexicon might characterize. Just like most folks have accepted 128 or 256 kb/s MP3 as good enough.

So, having established the premise of coming to Windows desktop from mobile touch, obviously, they'll find the start screen and all the touch capabilities familiar to some large degree. However, will that lead into desktop use and widespread consumption of really comprehensive programs that only really shine on the desktop? Obviously for work, sure, but in leisurely use when a much less expensive device fits the bill and is "good enough?" Because Win 8 is aimed at those consumers, not traditional users or business.

History I think will be even more unkind to Win 8 than it is even now methinks since I think it's a product that really doesn't fit demand from either direction. To paraphrase Paul Thurrott somewhat, Microsoft failed to lure that non-existent consumer.

Thanks
    If Microsoft had included the Windows 7 style start button / start menu in Windows 8.1, rather than putting a start button with reduced functionality, they may have been able to get the corporate market to adopt Windows 8.1. And doing so would not have required them to sacrifice any of the tablet interface features and functionality. In other words, they could have met the needs / wants of both worlds with one version of Windows. In my opinion, this was a hugely missed opportunity.

Could it be that we are seeing Microsoft stumble in the same way that they made so many others stumble in ancient days?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

bonalba (2014-04-03)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I eliminated all the Win 8 issues by having my new laptop custom configured with Win 7 Pro on an SSD straight from the seller. I also updated 2 XP desktops and one laptop to Win 7 Pro. I will be good for a LOOOOONG time.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miztrniceguy View Post
    I eliminated all the Win 8 issues by having my new laptop custom configured with Win 7 Pro on an SSD straight from the seller. I also updated 2 XP desktops and one laptop to Win 7 Pro. I will be good for a LOOOOONG time.
    Good to go until at least 2020.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Prescott For This Useful Post:

miztrniceguy (2014-04-04)

Thanks
    Someone should come up with a tablet interface for Windows 7 and call it "StartIsGone"!

I wonder how many people would buy it?