3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Home network & NT domain

I have a win2k desktop and win98SE laptop that I would like to network together. I have found many useful articles on this here, so that's not my point. My trouble is that the laptop shuttles back and forth to my work, where it must belong to an NT domain. The last time I changed it back to belonging to a workgroup I had to go through loads of hassle to access the work network again. I also occasionally dial up my work from home, and as win2k creates a different profile for each user-domain combination (rather than simply each user), I have my desktop also belonging to my work domain, even though it's rarely connected to it.

My understanding from everything I have read is that in order to network the computers at home I must have them belonging to the same workgroup. I presume the same NT domain will not do as there will be no domain controller.

How can I have my home network and network seemlessly at work as well?

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Home network & NT domain

Try to create different hardware profiles for different networks. To do so, Right-click My Computer icon on the desktop and choose Properties (or, if you have Windows key on laptop keyboard, Windows key + Pause/Break key); click on Hardware Profile tab, then highlight your profile and click Copy button; modify profile name and click OK. Next time you will start Windows, you will be prompted to choose hardware profile. Modify them for different networks. It is possible you need to create more new profiles if you have docked and undocked configurations for home and work.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Does the hardware profile determine whether the computer belongs to a domain or a workgroup? I thought not. Even if I disable the NIC on my desktop when I want to connect to my work server via dial up, it still won't alter the fact that I have to belong to a workgroup, not a domain, to be able to see the local laptop. The problem would seem even more intractable with the laptop, where the NIC is required both for home (workgroup) and work (domain) network access. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Why do you need to be part of a workgroup on the home network? You could join your work domain and just use cached credentials when logging in off line. Y

ou would have to enable Guest access for incoming connections at home - which could be a security issue when you work in the office - but you could always put together a little script that disabled and re-enabled the guest account if that was necessary.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dear Stuart,

You've lost me, but I'm interested. Precise situation: win98SE laptop goes back and forward to work, network identification belongs to domain WORK, Client for Microsoft Networks set to log in to NT domain. Win2k Professional desktop, as described above. Network with 2 NIC's and crossover cable only. My understanding was that to network in this fashion the computers must belong to the same workgroup, and cannot belong to a domain because there is no domain controller to provide permissions etc.

I did explore making direct connections, but was only given the option of parallel or serial (outgoing) or parallel or modem (incoming) connections. The NIC doesn't appear.

Are you saying that it is possible to have both computers belonging to the work domain, remaining offline to the domain controller and yet still be able to network to one another. Tell me more.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure why you think the two PCs need to be in the same workgroup.

What network protocol are you using at home?
    Assuming that it is IP, where do you get your IP addresses from when you are at home?
    What happens if you just connect them together and try to browse the network?

StuartR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I suggest to use Net BEUI protocol for home connection - no settings are required for this protocol.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Initially it was just IP and I left the copmuters belonging to the domain. Just connecting them together and browsing the network led me to the domain of oxwell, to which belonged the computer I was browsing on, but not the other one, which I could not find any other way (remember that at this stage neither is connected to a domain controller). As I have no "server" in this configuration, as you point out, there was nowhere to get the ip from, and I don't know how to get around this, being a networking ignormamus.

As I had to link them, I temporarily (though my work admin is going to be upset when I take the laptop back to work next week) left the domains, put them in the same workgroup and used NetBeui, and everything works fine, but this is not a long term solution.

So, is it possible to have both computers belonging to the work domain, and network together without access to the domain controller? If I want to use IP, where should they get their addresses from?

All the web articles on home networking either use a workgroup and netBeui, and for anyone who knows about networks, this stuff is so noddy as to not be published, except as chapter 5 of large networking books, which I will never use chapters 6 to 44 of (and probably not 1-4 either)!

If you can enlighten me I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Your easiest solution would be to follow Kaplin's advice and use Netbeui. This avoids having to deal with IP adress allocation, or having to translate names to addresses.

The only drawback of not being in the same workgroup is that you will need to click a couple of extra times when browsing (Entire Network, etc.). But since you only have two computers I can't see why you would want to Browse for things anyway, just use Start =>Run=>Computername to see what is shared on the ohter computer

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Or you may try Netswitcher for $9 at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.netswitcher.com/>http://www.netswitcher.com/</A>

(Edited by Leif to make URL live.)