New Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Software Asset Management Review email - Legit?

Hello, not certain if this is best place to post this, but here is my question:
    Received an email from Clifford Clarke with the subject: <OurFirmName>: Microsoft Software Asset Management Review. It has three attachments: Deployment Summary English; USA FAQ.doc; USA Introduction Letter.doc. It is asking me to complete the Deployment Summary in order to work with Microsoft on a review of our Microsoft licenses.

It appears to be legit, but does anyone know how I can verify it? (It does not ask for money or anything like that).

thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If the email was from Microsoft.com, then it could be genuine: The Microsoft Software Asset Management Review Explained (Yes, It’s An Audit)

Does the email include something like, "If you have any doubts about the authenticity of our request please do not hesitate to contact the Microsoft Switchboard and ask for me."?

Microsoft Sam Audit Example.pdf

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-03-26 at 14:19.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bruce - thanks for the quick reply. The email contains no mention of a way to authenticate the sender; plus the email states that there should also be an attachment "A copy of your organization’s Volume License Purchase Summary from the Microsoft licensing database" and there is no such attachment. The email states that any questions should be sent to him by email. There is a phone number included with this signature, however.
    This still makes me suspicious. Where to go from here?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If the email address is not @microsoft.com, I would suspect it's a scam and ignore it.

Bruce

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Legit? Never!

Always assume it's a scam - 'cause it inevitably is.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Legit? Never!
    Never?

Microsoft to audit 30,000 companies in 2012-2014

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you do me a huge favor and email me the attachments to susan-at-msmvps.com (change the -at- to @). I'm a writer for Windowssecrets and would love to see what these scammers are up to.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by techdls View Post
    Hello, not certain if this is best place to post this, but here is my question:
    Received an email from Clifford Clarke with the subject: <OurFirmName>: Microsoft Software Asset Management Review. It has three attachments: Deployment Summary English; USA FAQ.doc; USA Introduction Letter.doc. It is asking me to complete the Deployment Summary in order to work with Microsoft on a review of our Microsoft licenses.

It appears to be legit, but does anyone know how I can verify it? (It does not ask for money or anything like that).

thanks
    Did anything come of this for you? We are receiving the same message to an email address that isn't our normal conduit for IT communications.

Thanks!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I always assume those messages are scams. Legal notices tend to come through snail mail and if MS really want to audit you they can visit in person with appropriate legal notices in hand.

cheers, Paul

p.s. Have you sent the attachments to Susan?