Star Lounger
    Thanks

WMP-11: Rip problem

I have 3 albums in my WMP-11 library which I am trying to rip to CDs (MP3)……
    • The 1st ripped without any problem…..
    • The 2nd progressed through each song (total 12 songs) as expected (showing the green progress bar)---The last song however resulted in a red x….I didn’t see any error code…..It did not ‘finalize’…..I thought the red x pertained to just the last song….So I decided to reserve any problem solving and proceeded on to rip #3…..
    • The 3rd ripped without any problem….
    I returned to #2;
    Put in a new blank cd
    Selected #2 album from the library---minus that last song
    Started to rip……It did progress through each song (11 songs) but did not show the green progress bar this time…..At the end, WMP was totally stuck---It wouldn’t do anything….And----I couldn’t do anything with the mouse….Nothing would ‘work’….Not even trying to manually eject the cd….I couldn’t close the WMP program; I couldn’t bring up the Start button…..
    The only thing that gave me a glimmer of hope was ending the WMP Application through Task Manager…….
    That wasn’t the end of the problems, though…..I was still unable to do anything with the mouse……Bottom line, I was facing a Blue Screen…..
    Clicked---“Esc = Boot Menu"…..Allowed the computer to re-start normally….
    With a huge sigh of relief, everything came back up…..
    I would like to rip #2 but am totally gun shy….I definitely don’t want to go through another heart attack like I experienced before…..
    Please help me figure out…..What might have gone wrong…..What I can do to remedy this so I can rip album #2…
    Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated…..Thank you……
    H/P Pavilion a6400f / Pent Dual Core / Win Vista-SP2 / IE 9 / Chrome Version 32.0.1700.107 m / OFFICE 2007 / AVG2014 (Free) / MalwareBytes / Windows Firewall / Verizon DSL / E-mail AOL9.7 / Printer H/P OfficeJet 6700 All In One / Canon SX160 Camera / CCleaner2014 (Free)

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Download and run Nir Sofer's BlueScreenView (it doesn't need to be installed). This will analyse the minidump files created by the BSOD and, in the Caused by column, show the cause of it.

The default view doesn't show all the columns so you'll need to scroll the top pane to see the Caused by column.
    bluescreenview.jpg
    Click to enlarge

You can also do a Google search directly from within the Bugcheck column to narrow down the cause and any solutions that have been found. Just right-click on the BSOD entry in the top pane and choose Google Search - Bug Check+Driver from the context menu that appears.

Hope this helps...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Rick.....I ran the BlueScreen program followed by a Google search as you suggested.....So, I now know the crash was caused by the ntkrnlpa.exe driver....But, this is where my knowledge stops....What now...???
    H/P Pavilion a6400f / Pent Dual Core / Win Vista-SP2 / IE 9 / Chrome Version 32.0.1700.107 m / OFFICE 2007 / AVG2014 (Free) / MalwareBytes / Windows Firewall / Verizon DSL / E-mail AOL9.7 / Printer H/P OfficeJet 6700 All In One / Canon SX160 Camera / CCleaner2014 (Free)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ntkrnlpa.exe is a core system file (the NT Kernel) so it's very unlikely that this actually caused the BSOD. To check, do the following:

1. Click on the Start orb, type cmd in the Search programs and files dialog then press the Enter key.
    2. When cmd.exe appears in the results list, right-click on it and select Run as administrator from the context menu.
    3. When the User Account Control (UAC) dialog appears, click on the Yes button to dismiss it.
    4. When the command dialog appears, type sfc /scannow then press the Enter key.

Your PC/laptop will scan all of your Windows' system files and fix (replace) any that are corrupt. (This will take some time...) If all is well then the scan will complete with something like "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations'.

However, I very much doubt that a corrupt ntkrnlpa.exe file is the problem here. You need to provide a lot more information, i.e:

a. what OS are you running?
    b. what anti-malware do you use?
    c. what processes are running.

Hope this helps...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Rick.....
    OS is Vista SP2 (in my sig)....
    MalwareBytes-(Will update my sig to show this)---Just ran scan....All clear / No problems found...
    When you ask---What process "are" running....Do you mean---running right now...???....or...."where" running at the time of the problem...???.....
    Any thing else you thought of that would help...???
    fyi---I haven't run the sfc/scannow yet.....

Thanks for continuing to help me with this.....

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    VWDRV1 - If it's not ntkrnlpa.exe causing the problem (which I doubt... but only sfc /scannow will provide the necessary check) then it's most likely to be a process that's hooking on to ntkrnlpa.exe. This could possibly be malware but may also be a legitimate process (like anti-malware), hence why I asked what processes are running.

Let's try and narrow down what caused the crash:
    1. Download and run Nir Sofer's MyEventViewer. (It doesn't need to be installed.)
    2. Click on Logs in the menubar and make sure only Application, HardwareEvents and System are ticked.
    3. Click on Options in the menubar then Event Type Filter. Make sure only Error and Warning are ticked.
    4. Press F9 to display Advanced Options (or use Options > Advanced Filter).
    5. Put a tick in the Show only events created in the following time range checkbox then change the start and end date to the date your PC crashed when you were doing the ripping. Click on the OK button to dismiss the Advanced Options dialog.
    6. Click on one of the filtered events to select it then press CTRL+A to select all events.
    7. Click File in the menubar then Save Selected Items.
    8. Save the file as events.txt to your desktop.
    9. Attach the events.txt file to your next post.

Also, please zip up and attach the minidump file you analysed with BlueScreenView (in post #3). It should be stored in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder.

PS - You do need to carry out the sfc /scannow test to eliminate ntkrnlpa.exe as the culprit. Let us know the results.
    PPS - I had to look at your profile to see your signature. Is that Vista Home Premium? 32-bit or 64-bit?
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-04-14 at 08:28. Reason: Thought of better way to narrow results

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Rick….Will work through your instructions and report back….
    Re your PPS----Strange you’re not seeing my sig…."Show your signature" has been left checked each time I posted.....It is showing on each of my postings when I view this thread…..Sorry you had to go to extra work to see it…..Yes---Vista Home Premium….32 bit…
    Many thanks…..