Thread: Erasing files

New Lounger
    Thanks

Erasing files

I finally found a way to bypass the Recycle Bin, plus the gawd-awful 'Are you sure' popup, and immediately delete stuff. Unfortunately, during the process, I also discovered that deleting files is all a bunch of 'Lets play pretend!' According to the book Visual Quickstart Guide-Windows XP:

"When you empty the recycle Bin,Windows doesn't erase files, but, rather, marks them as deleted, making them invisable to you and to programs, but leaving their data intact on disk."

Is there any way to really erase files? I don't mean overwrite deleted files with random data (as with the 'SureDelete' app), I mean actually erase them!

Thanks
    Is there any way to really erase files? I don't mean overwrite deleted files with random data (as with the 'SureDelete' app), I mean actually erase them!
    Short answer: No.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Clint is right but CCleaner's drive wiper erase empty space tool will make it almost impossible to recover.

Jerry

Thanks
    AVG Free has a Right Click Shred option that also shreds the Recycle Bin.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Clint is right but CCleaner's drive wiper erase empty space tool will make it almost impossible to recover.

Jerry
    You can set CCLeaner up to "secure" erase all free space on PC start-up (or maybe even shut-down?), it takes a little longer but they will be gone.
    CCleaner can be setup to "secure" erase the Recycle Bin on start-up or shut-down too.

Just "delete" to the Recycle Bin then have CCleaner empty the Recycle Bin with a "secure" erase (there are a couple different levels) then run CCleaner on demand or, as I have it setup, on PC start-up. Of course that assumes one shuts down regularly.
    Last edited by RussB; 2014-03-27 at 09:45.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(