New Lounger
    Thanks

Question IE10 crashes when saving webpage in Windows 7 Pro 32-bit

Can anybody help?
    I am running Windows 7 Pro and Internet Explorer 10 with admin rights.
    Lately, whenever I try to save a web page in Internet Explorer, it crashes when the Save File dialogue box appears. I ran SFC /scannow (no errors). I ran CCleaner and reset Internet Explorer. It might be relevant that I also get an error if I create a new folder in a Save File dialogue box and then rename it with the dialogue box still open. I get the error "NewFolder no longer exists in (path)" but it renames the folder anyway and I can still finish the file save operation. I thought that was a fluke until the Internet Explorer problem surfaced; now I think they are related. It does not seem to matter which web page I try to save; I always get the message now. I'm not certain when it started; I just noticed it today.
    This is the error message detail:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: iexplore.exe
    Application Version: 10.0.9200.16798
    Application Timestamp: 52ec7da1
    Fault Module Name: comctl32.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.10.7601.17514
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7b71c
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 000a91e6
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    This one is above my head, but have you checked Event Viewer for any related errors or reset IE to defaults ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-03-21 at 12:13.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did reset Internet Explorer to the defaults; it did not help. I don't know what Event Viewer is.

Thanks
    Have you tried it with no add ons? What OS are you using? To start 32 bit IE 10 with no add ons in Windows 8:
    try the following command in Run box.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's IE10 and Windows 7 pro. I tried IE with no add-ins but it still crashes the moment I click File, Save as.... It will crash on any site if I click File, Save as... or if I press Ctrl-S.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    @ Jerry - GSA is using Win 7 Pro - as in thread title.

@ GSA - If you want to try IE without add-ons then go Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) then click on the Home page icon to give you your normal search page back.

Event Viewer is a record of most of what your computer does and can be accessed by Start - type eventvwr or eventvwr.msc then press Enter.

I say most because sometimes you can have a problem and nothing related is recorded.

When the logs have loaded, in the top window will be items for Critical, Error, Warning, Info etc.

Click on Error then on View All Instances of This Event in the right pane which will produce a scrollable window in the top pane and clicking on either of those errors will produce a description in the window below that.

Look for any with a Time Stamp of around the time you had the problem and clicking on the blue Event Log Online Help link can produce more detais and a possible solution.

You could also go Start - type action center - press Enter - use the Maintenance dropdown then click on View reliability history which may have recorded these events with either a red cross or yellow alert.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-03-21 at 16:43.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Does this still happen in Safe Mode with Networking ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, everyone, for your help. I finally gave up and did a System Restore. It restored to 19 MAR 2014, two days ago. When Windows started up, I tried to save a web page, and the dialogue box opened without an error. I tried it again just now, and it didn't crash. I guess it's okay now. I still have the folder rename problem, though, so the two problems may not be related after all. @Subo15, I found the Event Viewer. I'll keep checking it for the other problem. Action Center said that Java had stopped working once; that was about five minutes ago. Thanks very much.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    At least that's one problem fixed and perhaps someone may drop in to help you with the other.

I did read that Avast 2014 can cause the APPCRASH error which is why I asked if it still occurred in Safe Mode with Networking.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

GSAugustas (2014-03-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GSAugustas View Post
    Can anybody help?
    I am running Windows 7 Pro and Internet Explorer 10 with admin rights.
    Lately, whenever I try to save a web page in Internet Explorer, it crashes when the Save File dialogue box appears. I ran SFC /scannow (no errors). I ran CCleaner and reset Internet Explorer. It might be relevant that I also get an error if I create a new folder in a Save File dialogue box and then rename it with the dialogue box still open. I get the error "NewFolder no longer exists in (path)" but it renames the folder anyway and I can still finish the file save operation. I thought that was a fluke until the Internet Explorer problem surfaced; now I think they are related. It does not seem to matter which web page I try to save; I always get the message now. I'm not certain when it started; I just noticed it today.
    This is the error message detail:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: iexplore.exe
    Application Version: 10.0.9200.16798
    Application Timestamp: 52ec7da1
    Fault Module Name: comctl32.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.10.7601.17514
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7b71c
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 000a91e6
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Are you running Trusteer Rapport (security software)? If so, try disabling it or uninstall it. This worked for me in a similar situation. I think there may have been a recent upgrade to Rapport which caused the problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not using that. I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials. The web page saving problem has not recurred since I did the System Restore. I still have the folder rename problem though.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I believe that even though you are running IE the dialog box to save a file is a standard Windows dialog. When anything related to Windows Explorer has problems as you've described the source if often a shell extension add-in. You can use a tool such as ShellExView v1.86 - Shell Extensions Manager to manage shell extensions.

Joe