New Lounger
    Thanks

Battery not charging

This problem is not new for laptops of all brands and I have read lots of solutions at various sites. It is probably a Windows issue and not a hardware issue. The solution that works involves a sequence where the driver for the battery charging is removed from Device Manager. When the computer is restarted, the driver re-installs and the battery charges normally. This works for me but after that first full charge my computer reverts to the "battery not charging" again. Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this?
    Wally

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Battery charging is a purely hardware based arrangement and requires no drivers. If it's not working you have a hardware fault.
    If Windows falsely reports that the battery is not charging then there is an issue communicating with the motherboard, which would normally require a visit to the web site of your computer manufacturer for updated drivers.
    There is the possibility of software corruption that is affecting the driver for the motherboard comms. You should perform a hard disk test - right click on the disk and select Properties > Tools.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    If you have a Linux distro on a usb stick (just download one and copy to a stick using a program like isotousb) you can boot off the stick and use the Linux utilities to check the battery. I had a battery failure on my wife's laptop - the MS utility wasn't particularly helpful, but the |Linux one told me exactly what the problem was. Made it obvious buying a new one was needed!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

Paul T (2014-03-28)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What brand of laptop do you have? My Sony Vaio has an "extend battery life" option which, when set, doesn't charge the battery beyond 80%. Took me a while to figure out why my battery was at 80% and refused to charge further.