New Lounger
    Thanks

Bypass or auto login win 8

Have win 8.1 with classic shell. Try to get it to go straight to my desktop when I boot up. It has been working the way I want since I set it up a few months ago. But recently it stopped.
    About the time I changed my email password for my hotmail email account.
    Also noticed when I get to the boot up login screen that I have to now put in my password and it is the new password for my email or Microsoft account.
    Can’t remember how I originally set this up to go straight to my desktop and bypass login or automatically login.
    Tried something I found on goggle. It said to go to run then "netplwiz”.
    Did that but it will not let me make any changes to the box that pops up . Just can hit OK or Cancel. But the box is Unchecked that said users must enter a user name to use this computer. So don’t know what I could do there anyways.
    Under users for this Computer I have three names. (My Email is my email address)
    HomegroupUser$ HomeUsers
    My Email HomeUsers
    My Email HomeUsers; Administrators

Last one is highlighted. But will not let me highlight a different one or even put a check in the box if I wanted to. But again the box is unchecked like I think it should be.

Don’t know what else to do. Could try a system restore but that is about 5 days old and not sure if that would solve the problem.

Also about the same time this started. I did an update of my Paragon Backup software. This required me to completely uninstall the old program and then download and install the new one.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks
    Have you right clicked on the taskbar and selected properties? Click on the navigation tab and ensure the first item under start screen is ticked. This boots you into the desktop.

Who needs the fiddly win 7 menu, when you can have the much better start screen (mine has been beaten into what I want!)? Sorry, I'll get my coat.....

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Have you right clicked on the taskbar and selected properties? Click on the navigation tab and ensure the first item under start screen is ticked. This boots you into the desktop.

Who needs the fiddly win 7 menu, when you can have the much better start screen (mine has been beaten into what I want!)? Sorry, I'll get my coat.....
    In other words what he is saying refers to being baffled @ the unnecessary use of that Classic Shell thing. Windows 8.1 allows for booting directly to Desktop by following the instructions he has provided.

And, yes, that is how to boot w/out the P/W. netplwiz, etc. Word of caution... do not use that if there is ever any possibility of anyone other than you getting their hands on your computer.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg