Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    Thanks

Microsoft releases Office for iPad

See Announcing the Office you love, now on the iPad.

Note: as part of this release Office for iPhone and Android are now free.

Joe

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Sounds like you'll have to pay an annual subscription fee for Office on the iPad, however.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Office for iPad

We know you’ve been wanting it, and starting today, you can download Word, Excel and PowerPoint for iPad from the App Store. The apps have the robust capabilities and familiar look and feel that is unmistakably Office, while offering a fantastic touch experience built from the ground up for iPad. With the free versions of the apps, you can read your Word documents, view your Excel data and present with PowerPoint.
    Hmmm... sounds just like an Office viewer for the iPad.

Does MS actually realize how much ground it has lost to the mobile market?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post

I think they are so used to raking in the money on Office that they are loathe to give that up.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I doubt anyone could reasonably accuse MS of being stupid. However, with the (lack of) success over the last 18 months of both Windows 8.x and Windows Surface... you really have to wonder what the heck is going on in there at MS HQ.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-03-27 at 18:18.

Thanks
    The same thing is happening to them now that happened to lots of their competitors in the distant past -- they got bypassed by a change in the market. However, back then it was Microsoft who was steering the market away from their competitors and toward themselves; whereas today it is mainly Apple and Google who are steering the market away from Microsoft and toward companies like themselves.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would also add... by insisting on only allowing Office365 users to be able to edit/create, etc. in 'Office for iPad', MS will probably alienate all users of other Office versions, e.g. Office 2013.

I have both Office 2007 and Office 2010 on different PC's, both purchased at considerable cost. Does MS seriously now expect me to buy into a subscription model of Office in order to 'unlock' the features of 'Office for iPad'? All this release has done is to make me even more determined to avoid the MS ecosystem as much as possible.

Administrator
    Thanks
    What would you consider a reasonable one time price for the various programs? You do realize that if you subscribe to Office 2013 Home that the subscription covers 5 devices? If you have any intention of upgrading to Office 2013 or to a future version and have multiple devices the Office subscription is most likely the best way to go.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    What would you consider a reasonable one time price for the various programs? You do realize that if you subscribe to Office 2013 Home that the subscription covers 5 devices? If you have any intention of upgrading to Office 2013 or to a future version and have multiple devices the Office subscription is most likely the best way to go.

Joe
    Hi Joe - I have no need for any further installations of MS Office. Having recently retired, what I have now fulfils my needs completely. As a result a subscription to Office 2013 covering 5 devices is of little or no use to me. What would have been nice would have been the ability to create, say, an Excel spreadsheet on one of my desktop PC's then be able to amend data using my iPad.

What would I consider a reasonable one time price for the various programs, given that I only wish to amend existing docs and spreadsheets rather than create new ones using my iPad? It's a moot point 'cos I'll just continue to use the totally free Quickoffice on my iPad now I no longer have the work-provided Office2 HD.

Administrator
    Thanks
    It was not moot enough that you refrained from making an issue of it. Microsoft has made a decision about using a "freemium" approach to these apps. That is not unlike many other products in the "app" world. I guess time will tell if this is the correct approach.

Quickoffice requires you have a Google account which means turning over everything you save to Google. No thanks.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

The subscription version of Office for the iPad allows editing, not just viewing.

As for losing ground to the mobile market, no-one I know of would contemplate serious number-crunching, word-processing, database maintenance, desktop publishing, Office programming, etc. on a mobile device. So the lost market share in all those respects would be zilch.

a subscription to Office 2013 covering 5 devices is of little or no use to me. What would have been nice would have been the ability to create, say, an Excel spreadsheet on one of my desktop PC's then be able to amend data using my iPad.
    That's precisely what the subscription would allow...

I would also add... by insisting on only allowing Office365 users to be able to edit/create, etc. in 'Office for iPad', MS will probably alienate all users of other Office versions, e.g. Office 2013.
    And do you seriously expect MS to release Office 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, & 2010 versions of Office, all of which have been superseded, for iPad??? If not, how else is MS supposed to support Office on the iPad???
    Last edited by macropod; 2014-03-29 at 23:32.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    The subscription version of Office for the iPad allows editing, not just viewing.
    My point exactly... only the subscription version of Office for the iPad allows editing, not the edition this article is discussing.

no-one I know of would contemplate serious number-crunching, word-processing, database maintenance, desktop publishing, Office programming, etc. on a mobile device.
    Nor me... have a look back at what I actually said ("What would have been nice would have been the ability to create, say, an Excel spreadsheet on one of my desktop PC's then be able to amend data using my iPad.").

I wasn't talking rocket-science (serious number-crunching, word-processing, database maintenance, desktop publishing, Office programming, etc.) nor even the ability to create new docs/spreadsheets, just the ability to edit very basic data in existing docs/spreadsheets.

That's precisely what the subscription would allow...
    I'm not stupid. I get this. But I've also paid more than $1000 for 2 different flavours of MS Office 2007 and MS Office 2010 on 2 PC's. Do you seriously expect me to be happy having to now buy into a perpetual $100 per year MS Office 365 subscription plan just to be able to amend basic docs/spreadsheets on my iPad that were created on my 2 desktop PC's?

And do you seriously expect MS to release Office 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, & 2010 versions of Office, all of which have been superseded, for iPad???
    ROFL. Umm... no.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-04-02 at 21:59.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    My point exactly... only the subscription version of Office for the iPad allows editing, not the edition this article is discussing.
    If you read the article, you'd find it discusses both...
    "With an Office 365 subscription, you can edit and create new documents with the iPad."
    If that isn't a reference to the subscription edition, what is???
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you read the article, you'd find it discusses both...
    "With an Office 365 subscription, you can edit and create new documents with the iPad."
    If that isn't a reference to the subscription edition, what is???
    Sorry but... if you refer to the article then the second paragraph quite clearly states "With the free versions of the apps, you can read your Word documents, view your Excel data and present with PowerPoint.".

You and I both know that editing MS docs/spreadsheets is another story...

Please don't try to distort this as "Announcing the Office you love, now on the iPad" (as MS have done) without clearly pointing out the subsequent licensing costs in order to be able to edit even very simple docs/spreadsheets.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-04-02 at 22:27.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sorry but... if you refer to the article then the second paragraph quite clearly states "With the free versions of the apps, you can read your Word documents, view your Excel data and present with PowerPoint.".
    And what does the rest of the same paragraph say?
    Office for iPad
    We know you’ve been wanting it, and starting today, you can download Word, Excel and PowerPoint for iPad from the App Store. The apps have the robust capabilities and familiar look and feel that is unmistakably Office, while offering a fantastic touch experience built from the ground up for iPad. With the free versions of the apps, you can read your Word documents, view your Excel data and present with PowerPoint. Your documents will look as good as they do on your PC and Mac®, and better than ever on your iPad. With an Office 365 subscription, you can edit and create new documents with the iPad. When you edit a document, you can be sure that content and formatting will be maintained across Office on PC, Mac, tablet and phone. And, you always have access to your up-to-date documents in OneDrive and OneDrive for Business.
    Let's face it, you're really not interested in the facts. You just want to criticize MS, without which Apple probably wouldn't exist (as even the late Steve Jobs acknowledged).
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast