Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Let's face it, you're really not interested in the facts. You just want to criticize MS.
    Thanks... I had to laugh at this and your subsequent comment "without which Apple probably wouldn't exist (as even the late Steve Jobs acknowledged)." which for some reason you omitted.

Let's face it, you're really not interested in the subsequent licensing costs for ordinary users who have already purchased recent versions of MS Office and would just like to amend an Office doc on their iPad.

Sorry but... I guess we need to agree to disagree in a world where alternatives abound.

Yay!... personal opinions rock! (no?)

PS - If the original article's caption had been 'Microsoft releases Office Viewer for iPad' then I doubt we would be having this 'discussion'.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-04-02 at 23:30.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Thanks... I had to laugh at this and your subsequent comment "without which Apple probably wouldn't exist (as even the late Steve Jobs acknowledged)." which for some reason you omitted.

Let's face it, you're really not interested in the subsequent licensing costs for ordinary users who have already purchased recent versions of MS Office and would just like to amend an Office doc on their iPad.
    Rick, you whole approach to this topic lacks integrity. You have blatantly misrepresented what the article you quote says, by omitting anything that doesn't agree with your POV, then you have the hide to accuse me of supposedly omitting something. Had I done so, the post would have shown that it had been edited - which it doesn't. I not that you edited yours though, as I am now doing to mine... Keep it up and you won't be welcome here.

I couldn't care less whether you decide to view (for free) your documents on an iPad or choose to pay to be able to edit them. Your whingeing about having to pay just because you don't want to update to Office 2013 is purile in the extreme.
    Last edited by macropod; 2014-04-03 at 04:54. Reason: Edits in italics added
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Hi Joe - What would have been nice would have been the ability to create, say, an Excel spreadsheet on one of my desktop PC's then be able to amend data using my iPad.

What would I consider a reasonable one time price for the various programs, given that I only wish to amend existing docs and spreadsheets rather than create new ones using my iPad? It's a moot point 'cos I'll just continue to use the totally free Quickoffice on my iPad now I no longer have the work-provided Office2 HD.
    As you may know Office2HD has now been renamed QuickEdit (or, to give it its full name: Citrix ShareFile QuickEdit Pro), and it does most of what you seem to want - it cost me (here in the UK) just a one-off £5.49, and I DO use it to amend existing docs and spreadsheets on my iPad - docs stored in a DropBox account, so that I can also access them on my desktop computer. It does not seem to deal with Microsoft Presentations quite so well, but that would not be my first priority, and at such a small one-off price it suits my needs - don't need an expensive annual subscription to Office for iPad.
    Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo234 View Post
    As you may know Office2HD has now been renamed QuickEdit... and it does most of what you seem to want... and I DO use it to amend existing docs and spreadsheets on my iPad...
    Excellent! I wasn't aware of either the name change or pricing. Many thanks for the info.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Rick, you whole approach to this topic lacks integrity. You have blatantly misrepresented what the article you quote says, by omitting anything that doesn't agree with your POV, then you have the hide to accuse me of supposedly omitting something. Had I done so, the post would have shown that it had been edited - which it doesn't. I not that you edited yours though, as I am now doing to mine... Keep it up and you won't be welcome here.

I couldn't care less whether you decide to view (for free) your documents on an iPad or choose to pay to be able to edit them. Your whingeing about having to pay just because you don't want to update to Office 2013 is purile in the extreme.
    Thanks for this. I'm sorry to read that you think I was "whingeing" and lack integrity. However, you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that.

I guess it answered my proposal that "we need to agree to disagree".

PS - It's 'puerile'.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just an 'interesting' note: the MS site says that the 'Small Office???' version of Office 365 will not allow editing. My Office has a tier 1 Enterprise subscription to Office 365 so I thought that it would be fine - When I couldn't edit, my IT guy queried MS support and we came to find that only Tier 3 Enterprise subscriptions will allow editing. So, even if you have Enterprise Tier 1 or 2 subscriptions, you will not be able to edition the iPad apps. (That is, without an additional subscription)
    Last edited by labrat1951; 2014-04-04 at 10:19.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by labrat1951 View Post
    Just an 'interesting' note: the MS site says that the 'Small Office???' version of Office 365 will not allow editing. My Office has a tier 1 Enterprise subscription to Office 365 so I thought that it would be fine - When I couldn't edit, my IT guy queried MS support and we came to find that only Tier 3 Enterprise subscriptions will allow editing. So, even if you have Enterprise Tier 1 or 2 subscriptions, you will not be able to edition the iPad apps. (That is, without an additional subscription)
    That is clearly stated in the linked announcement.

"Q: What Office 365 subscription plans include Office for iPad?

A: Office 365 Home, Office 365 Small Business Premium, Office 365 Midsize Business, Office 365 E3 and E4 (Enterprise and Government), Office 365 Education A3 and A4, Office 365 ProPlus, and Office 365 University. The new Office 365 Personal will also qualify when it becomes available later this spring."

The ability to edit documents with the iPad versions is clearly limited to subscriptions which include the Office desktop applications.

Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12