New Lounger
    Thanks

How to change volume control default?

The default volume setting in XP pro is 'on'. Is there a way to change default setting of the volume so that, upon startup, the volume is 'off'? I seem to recall seeing a method on Google about a year ago, but now I cannot find it.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Vorn,

I don't know where the settings are but maybe #3 post here will help. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    on my pc i can click on the speaker icon in the bottom

then realtek pops up

go to mixer tab
    then on the playback portion at the top
    click the bottom of each device/thing and turn off playback

the front output may not have a box to click
    so just pull the slider all the way down to make the playback volume zero

some realtek versions have different displays but it should be similar to that

Quote Originally Posted by Vorn View Post
    The default volume setting in XP pro is 'on'. Is there a way to change default setting of the volume so that, upon startup, the volume is 'off'? I seem to recall seeing a method on Google about a year ago, but now I cannot find it.
    Last edited by speedball; 2014-04-03 at 12:34. Reason: update

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have always done this or something very similar. I am wanting to stop doing this. I basically want to reverse the process. When I log on I want the "slider all the way down" by default, so that each time I log on, I have to move the slider up to engage the sound.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try Nir Sofer's NirCmd. Download it and copy it to C:\Windows\System32 (so the PATH environment variable can find it) then use a batch file comprising of a command like nircmd.exe setsysvolume 0 in your startup folder (or from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run key in the registry).

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-04-25 at 19:04. Reason: Added registry info

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @Vorn
    When you log off or shutdown, Windows will save your settings, including sound.
    So set the volume to the level you want just when you are going to shutdown, but read the rest.

If you want sound to be completely off, the easiest way (on XP) is this simple 2-clicks step:

- LEFT click the speaker icon in the tray.
    - Check the Mute box

Next time you boot Windows XP, sound should be totally muted (if all is working well on your machine).

Don't forget to Un-mute when you want to hear sound.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help...I will give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by sh10453 View Post
    @Vorn
    When you log off or shutdown, Windows will save your settings, including sound.
    So set the volume to the level you want just when you are going to shutdown, but read the rest.

If you want sound to be completely off, the easiest way (on XP) is this simple 2-clicks step:

- LEFT click the speaker icon in the tray.
    - Check the Mute box

Next time you boot Windows XP, sound should be totally muted (if all is working well on your machine).

Don't forget to Un-mute when you want to hear sound.