Banned Member
    Thanks

Post Top 5 Key Security Improvements Found in Windows 8.1

Top 5 Key Security Improvements Found in Windows 8.1

Some of you may find this a good, informative read.

Good article for people who don't appreciate or realise why 8.1 is an improvement over prior Windows Operating Systems. For all the folks who just focus on what can be seen on the surface and don't know the added value or benefits from all the under-the-covers technologies in Windows 8.1

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-03-28 at 00:51.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If microsoft is so concerned for our security then why do they make everyone pay an extra ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS to get full disk encryption? Oh, right, the money.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Mikey,

Pardon me for no having a reply to what you have said other than to say it would appear you have missed the point of why I shared this article w/ people. It is explained in the OP; maybe give it another read. My rational is stated there.

If you are, for some reason, referring the differing price point between 8.1 & 8.1 Pro. Pro responds to enterprise needs & concerns which, usually are on a higher level than consumers. And what various technologies are provided for enterprise customers costs a bit more to include, ergo the higher price for Pro. But, again, this is a bit of a subject change in terms of the reason I shared the article.

I might add, it was in the name of being concerned about End User security that an OS was offered that (finally) included security and security that is ON, by default.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Some of the things they've done make me thing Microsoft is more concerned with THEIR security, not so much the user's convenience when it comes to repairs and modifications. Is there just a stand alone W8 download we can just access as a repair and reinstall DVD like Win 7?

Also the whole idea of splitting BYO devices between personal and business, and oh, by the way, wherever you are the corporation can reach out and zap all your corporate data without affecting the rest of your data or function. Well, fine but there's also never been a more opportune time to split usage, let the employee use a completely personal device on a separate network in a workplace while locking out any personal use of corporate property so efficiency can be directly measured.

I've seen some studies that half or more of the workday is spent at least by some workers, surfing instead of working. Also, who would want IT getting their paws on their personal devices to set up the remote destruction portion unless corporate was actually footing the bill for the device, which then doesn't gain them anything even in the short run (cost of the device). Seems like an idea that while feasible, is not a good business proposition compared to the alternate. As a businessman with employees, I'd be savoring the opportunity to split the sheets so to speak, not make it even easier to screw off at work, anytime and literally anyplace.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Pardon me for no having a reply to what you have said other than to say it would appear you have missed the point of why I shared this article w/ people. It is explained in the OP; maybe give it another read. My rational is stated there.

If you are, for some reason, referring the differing price point between 8.1 & 8.1 Pro. Pro responds to enterprise needs & concerns which, usually are on a higher level than consumers. And what various technologies are provided for enterprise customers costs a bit more to include, ergo the higher price for Pro. But, again, this is a bit of a subject change in terms of the reason I shared the article.
    The additional cost for full disk encryption was not off-topic at all.

#3 of your top 5 security improvements with 8.1 was device encryption; which only applies to new tablets or ultrabooks, but the article you presented didn't make that obvious.

Isn't Windows 8 Enterprise the version which responds to enterprise needs?

Bruce

P.S. The #2 security improvement you put forward only applies to modern tile apps; which you never use, right?
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-03-28 at 09:48.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Some of the things they've done make me thing Microsoft is more concerned with THEIR security, not so much the user's convenience when it comes to repairs and modifications. Is there just a stand alone W8 download we can just access as a repair and reinstall DVD like Win 7?
    Try creating a recovery drive. Just search the control panel for "recovery disk" and you'll get a link.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    I've seen some studies that half or more of the workday is spent at least by some workers, surfing instead of working. Also, who would want IT getting their paws on their personal devices to set up the remote destruction portion unless corporate was actually footing the bill for the device, which then doesn't gain them anything even in the short run (cost of the device). Seems like an idea that while feasible, is not a good business proposition compared to the alternate. As a businessman with employees, I'd be savoring the opportunity to split the sheets so to speak, not make it even easier to screw off at work, anytime and literally anyplace.
    What company in its right mind wants to enable an employee to access corporate data and keep it on a personal device without the ability to maintain control over the data? This BYOD trend is all well and good. It can save the company money. It can empower employees and make them more productive. BUT, the data belongs to the company regardless of who pays for the device. If the employee leaves the company or loses control of the device the company needs to be able to protect its property. It seems as though you are implying that because a company permits an employee to access corporate data with a personal device that the company loses the ability to control its own data.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Good article for people who don't appreciate or realise why 8.1 is an improvement over prior Windows Operating Systems. For all the folks who just focus on what can be seen on the surface and don't know the added value or benefits from all the under-the-covers technologies in Windows 8.1

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg
    I will acknowledge that there are security improvements from 8.0 (and prior) to 8.1. But that is not why I avoid 8.1. The reason I avoid 8.1 is because I tried it and didn't like it. It doesn't feel as stable or as smooth as 8.0. And it has too many incompatibilities with prior stuff for my taste.

I'm very happy with 8.0; and Drew, I'm very happy for you that you like 8.1, because it is very obvious that you do.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-03-28 at 12:20.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    What company in its right mind wants to enable an employee to access corporate data and keep it on a personal device without the ability to maintain control over the data? This BYOD trend is all well and good. It can save the company money. It can empower employees and make them more productive. BUT, the data belongs to the company regardless of who pays for the device. If the employee leaves the company or loses control of the device the company needs to be able to protect its property. It seems as though you are implying that because a company permits an employee to access corporate data with a personal device that the company loses the ability to control its own data.

Joe
    Not exactly, I'm saying who would submit a personal device they paid for so it can be setup so the corporate data can be nuked from space anytime they (the employee) go off the reservation so to speak. No problem with corporate actually doing that. I'd be like, hell no, you give me your dedicated business device to use if you want me to do that.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I will acknowledge that there are security improvements from 8.0 (and prior) to 8.1. But that is not why I avoid 8.1.
    Ya, I should clarify, there is definitely more security, didn't really have to consider personal devices before 2008 or so eh. The rest, again definitely more security...improvement? Seems like that's in the eye of the beholder...I can only hope the bad guys are having as difficult a time working with them a I am from a technical standpoint.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2014-03-28)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Not exactly, I'm saying who would submit a personal device they paid for so it can be setup so the corporate data can be nuked from space anytime they (the employee) go off the reservation so to speak. No problem with corporate actually doing that. I'd be like, hell no, you give me your dedicated business device to use if you want me to do that.
    Then the company should say hell no you can't access our corporate data. IMO, if employees want to bring their own device they have to play by the company rules. Personally, I would much rather have a dedicated company device too.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, in complete agreement, the whole thing is just a big potential brewpot of trouble (because humans are involved at potential cross-purposes), hence the argument that it's fundamentally better to keep the personal devices separate from the business ones even though the bottom line looks attractive in the short term. Personal devices MAKE that possible and then here comes Win 8 Ent. along and says, oh no, we can just all be one big happy family!