New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller without DNS?

Hi Guys,

Just today I have encountered a Windows Server 2003, that is running as a Domain Controller and DOES NOT have DNS server running on itself. Also it is NOT registering dynamic updates ANYWHERE. The DNS settings in the NIC are pointing to the ISP's DNS server. What I am trying to figure out is, HOW is active directory operating without a DNS server? Or access to a DNS server (apart from the ISP's servers)?

It is running Exchange 2007, and is running it perfectly. Mail is being received and is being sent. BUT, no mention of ANY DNS servers ANYWHERE (apart from the ISP's ones).

Scratching my head on this one. Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Please let me know what all information I need to provide.

Kind regards,
    Aqueeb.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows will work because the server knows where it is and the mail works because it only uses external DNS searches. Problems will arise is you add another server or want PCs to talk to each other.
    The server will not register DNS updates because it has no write access to the ISPs DNS.

You should install DNS on the server, but you'll probably have to add zones for the domain manually.

cheers, Paul

p.s. How do you assign IP addresses to the PCs?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    IP Addresses are assigned using the router. So Exchange 2007 will continue to work properly with no issues what so ever, as long as an outlook client connects with the proper credentials?

Kind regards,
    Aqueeb.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, Exchange / Outlook will work, but you should do it properly with DNS and the server providing IPs via the DHCP service.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for clarifying Paul! Much appreciated!

Kind regards,
    Aqueeb.