New Lounger
    Thanks

French/English Language conflict

I live in Canada. First language is English. My brother, who lives in France, visited last Fall. He brought a laptop while he was here with Win7 Pro installed on it (English Language). He used it via my ISP while he was here with no problems. He went back to France and, with no rhyme or reason, after some weeks, his laptop has completely converted overnight to the French Language - with no input from him. His ISP there is French of course, and I have to think that for some reason the conversion originated through the ISP servers. My brother is fluent in conversational French, but written French is not exactly his thing and he would prefer to read the laptop offerings in English.

One thing may be pertinent. He did a fairly big (30 minutes) Windows update just before this occurred.

My questions:

How could this happen?
    How can we switch this back to English and prevent it happening again?
    Would a System Restore get us back to English?

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The fairly big WU could have been the French SP1 and a restore point would be the first thing to try and if not successful, this article may help, but he may need to check which updates will be offered in future before downloading http://www.ehow.com/how_8131088_chan...h-english.html or this one if that didn't do it http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic...stem-language/
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-03-28 at 16:49.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I have sent a link to here to my brother. I'll get back to you once he has tried the fix.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have heard from France. My brother did a system restore from a date before the Windows Update. His system is now back to English. He does not know which update could have done the deed, but I would say he needs to be more selective in what he wants done to his machine.

Thanks for your comment.