Lounger
    Thanks

how to have full control of both laptops

I've learned how to share a folder and access it on my main laptop, but I would like to be able to access the whole C: drive of my other laptop.

I tried sharing C: drive and it indicates it's shared, but when I try to access it always says I don't have permission. I've gone into advanced share and made sure it says no password needed. I have mapped the network drive on main laptop, but as I said when I click on it I need permission.

I'am probably missing something real simple. Can someone tell me the correct procedure to do this?

Thanks

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Lounger
    Thanks
    just an added info to my post.

My main laptop is Win 8.1 and my second laptop is Win 7. Both are 64 bit systems. I don't know if this helps with finding my problem.

Thanks
    John, when you enable sharing through the Properties of the C: drive, you click the Advanced Sharing button, in the next window under the comments box, you will see a Permissions button. Click it and you will probably see that Everyone has Read permission. Use the buttons to add a new User Name or group (like Authenticated Users) and give them the permission you need.

The sharing permissions are separate from the file system permissions. Both have to be set correctly for sharing to work correctly.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay I right clicked on C: drive and selected advanced sharing. All that was showing was C, so I clicked on it and added Everyone then I went to permissions and selected read & write, clicked apply, then closed dialog box. Then I went to my Win 8.1 laptop, opened explorer went to network, found Dell and then selected Everyone. Message saying I don't have permission popped up again.
    So then I went back and right clicked on C: and selected map network drive. (Thinking that would solve the problem)but same message popped up again.
    What would be next step?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Back on Win 8.1 machine , now when I click on C drive it pops up asking for a user name & password.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I never had a password for the Win 7 laptop.

Lounger
    Thanks
    This is an update: On win 8.1 laptop I shared C: drive, back on Win 7 laptop I went to network and selected C: drive, it asked for name & password which I entered and now have full access.
    But from win 8.1 laptop, I clicked on C: drive of win 7 and have access to all but C:\config.msi, C:\MSOcache, C:\Perflogs, C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files(86), C:\Program Data, and C:\Windows.
    Any idea why I can have full access of C: drive on Win 8.1 from Win 7, and not full access C: drive from Win 8.1 too Win 7 machine? Sounds confusing, but is legit question.
    Thanks for your time.

Thanks
    When accessing networked computers, each computer must validate the user that is trying to gain access from the other computer. The easiest way is to be sure that the name and password of the user is that same on each computer. Windows will then validate the user when he attempts to gain access from another computer. This will happen automatically and seamlessly as long as "Authenticated Users" is given the proper access through sharing and the file system.

If the usernames do not match, Windows will ask for a username and password before allowing access.

When you created a username on either of your computers, a group was given to that name. These are normally "User" or "Administrator". Many of the folders you are trying to access require Administrator access. Some are so carefully controlled that to change access you need to be "The Administrator", which is a special account giving full control to everything on the computer. This access restriction is there so a user cannot accidently mess up the system.

On my systems, I do not even share the C: drive; I only share the data drives and I do not use "My_Documents" for anything. Also, there is almost no reason I can think of for attempting to access folders such as C:\Program Files, C:\Program Data and C:\Windows from another computer. You are just asking for trouble if you make modifications to these from another computer.

Win 8.1 is generally more restrictive on access than Win 7. I cannot speak specifically to your situation, because I don't know the content of each access control list or what group your users belong to. But that is where you should start looking if you are intent on getting to these folders over the network.

From your last post, it sounds like you are able to get to everything you really need. The remainder should be left alone.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JC Zorkoff For This Useful Post:

John F (2014-03-30)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info, am satisfied with the way the two laptops are set. I'am learning more and more though trial and error, and of course forums like this site.