2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Printing "1" on laptop

I have a Gateway laptop that my wife uses. The other day it began printing "1" across the page and down. The only way to stop it was turn it off. I took the battery out and put it back in, but the same thing happened. It has a SSD drive for C and a HD for D. I switched them because I had cloned C on D just in case. I thought D had become C, but it didn't. Yet, the problem stopped. That was about 2-3 days ago. This morning, it started again. My wife doesn't like the pad so I had turned it off. I tried finding the place where I did that to turn it back on, hoping that would solve the problem, but haven't found it yet. I tried going back to a restore point, but it wouldn't allow me to do that. I tried getting into the BIOS to change the D drive to C, but I can't get it to do that either. I did troubleshoot it and it told me a hardware problem had been fixed. Yet, the problem continued, so I shut it off and restarted it for the 5th time. It took quite a bit longer to boot back up, but when it finally did, the problem stopped. I'm not sure if it is just a glitch, the keyboard she is using is giving us the problem, nor how long it will continue to work without the problem popping back up. Where do I go to restart the pad? I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro 64.

Well, my wife came in and started to type something and the problem started again. So much for my "fixing"!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's quite possibly a physical issue with the "1" key. Compare the feel with other keys. Try firm pushes to see if it moves up smoothly. If not, it may need an internal cleaning.

Bruce

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Rhawk,

Have you tried a can of compressed air to clean the keyboard? HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    You might need to replace the keyboard. They are more difficult to replace than desktop keyboards but its doable if you are careful. Do a Google or Bing search on:
    "replace Gateway your model number keyboard"
    and you should be able to find instructions. Do another search for
    Gateway your model number keyboard
    for a list of sources and prices for your keyboard. Don't use the cheapest.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been using a keyboard and mouse by Logitech that works off a plug-in to the USB. I had a new can of compressed air and cleaned it, but that didn't do any good. I traded these for the ones I have on my desktop and hooked them up with the laptop and it still does not help. I've traded out an HD that I had put a clone of what was on the SSD, took the SSD out of the laptop, and it still does the "1's" I've run Malwarebytes and HouseCall and neither show any infection. I cannot get into the BIOS so the laptop will boot off a CD or DVD where I have recover files. I can't get into the Search nor the other items on the right side of the screen to do a recover. I can no longer get into Windows 8.1 START. Although I found no infections, it almost sounds as if that's what the laptop has. I'm not too sure of what I can do about it other than take it to the shop. Before I do, anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
    I'm with BruceR on this one....sounds like a stuck key or something broken with the parts underneath the key. This should give you an idea on how to remove a one piece keyboard. You will need the exact model of your laptop to get the exact removal process.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I agree with you. My problem was when "keyboard" was mentioned, I thought of the external keyboard we always use. Since we don't use the one on the laptop, it never entered my mind that it might be the culprit. I finally decided to reinstall the OS and it took me 3 times to finally do it. This morning my wife turned the computer on and the password line suddenly put it a bunch of dots. When I pressed the icon to see what it was, there were the "1's." That's when it hit me. I've got a keyboard on my laptop! I'm slow!!!!!! I blew it out. I also tapped on the "1" on the upper left as well as the one on the right. So far it has not reoccurred, but it's like sitting on a keg of powder with the fuse burning, wetting my fingers and pinching it to stop it, then waiting to see if that did any good before wetting my fingers again. I think I still have warranty of it and if so, may see if I can get a new keyboard out of it. Thanks to all for your help.

Thanks
    We all have moments like that...it happens. Just glad you got sorted.....