5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Confusion about Admin vs non-Admin Accounts

I am setting up a new Win8.1 laptop and rather than operate in an account with Admin privileges all the time, I set up an account with Admin privileges and a User account without those privileges. I expected that the Admin account would have access to everything in both accounts but that hasn't happened! For example, I expected to setup the backup process in the Admin account and have it save the stuff in both accounts. Is that what you would expect? Do those accounts simply exist completely separately and have nothing to do with each other? Is there anything that I should change?

Thanks,
    Bill

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Are these local accounts or Microsoft accounts? I don't know with Win 8 but someone might want that info for the answer if it makes a difference.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Are these local accounts or Microsoft accounts? I don't know with Win 8 but someone might want that info for the answer if it makes a difference.
    I'm talking about accounts that I added to the laptop. There is no connection with Microsoft or their accounts.

Bill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWilson View Post
    I expected to setup the backup process in the Admin account and have it save the stuff in both accounts.
    What do you have in mind when you say "setup the backup process"?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am planning to adapt the backup process I'm currently using on my wife's old PC where I use the task scheduler and 4 or 5 small batch files to automatically reboot the PC and then pack all her important files into a ZIP file and copy it to my PC over our home network. She doesn't have very many files except her email. Maybe I'm just being discouraged by the stupid File Explorer that came with Win8.1. I can't seem to find anything I'm looking for with that File Explorer because of the screwy way the file paths are shown in the left-hand pane.

Thanks for your interest.
    Bill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWilson View Post
    She doesn't have very many files except her email. Maybe I'm just being discouraged by the stupid File Explorer that came with Win8.1. I can't seem to find anything I'm looking for with that File Explorer because of the screwy way the file paths are shown in the left-hand pane.
    Not sure what you are referring to, here. I can't see a major difference between File Explorer and Windows Explorer in most respects, but certainly not on navigating a drive's folders on the left pane.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Not sure what you are referring to, here. I can't see a major difference between File Explorer and Windows Explorer in most respects, but certainly not on navigating a drive's folders on the left pane.
    Rui, thanks for your interest. Yes, I have changed some of the View settings in the file explorer and now it does look much more like what I am used to. The kind of thing that has me confused now that I'm trying to use an Admin account and a non-Admin account, which I have never done before, is this: I want to temporarily insert the name of a bat file into the Startup folder that will be executed when the laptop reboots, but there are two Startup folders, one for each account. I need to figure out a way to make sure this bat file gets executed during this kind of reboot (a step in my backup process) but I'm not sure where to put it.

This actually brings up two questions:
    1. Is there a way to have my sequence of bat files run with administrator privileges? It will be started by the Task Scheduler.

2. Will my bat file sequence be able to get past the Login process after the reboot? How?

Thanks,
    Bill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi Bill,

I think you should try to use the Task Scheduler, instead of relying on the location of the batch file. If you do that you will be able to:

- Specify that the batch file will be executed whenever any user logs in
    - Specify the account that the batch will run under
    - Have the batch executing with high privileges

By doing this, the location of the file is "irrelevant". I usually place such batch files under the root folder, but any folder could be used. Probably the best folder would be one under All Users.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I do start the process with the Task Scheduler but because my wife tends to leave things open overnight, the first step in the process I have been using is to reboot the PC and then begin to execute the actual backup. I guess I can have the Scheduler initiate both halves of the process by triggering the first phase on the date/time to reboot the computer and then have the second phase triggered by the presence of a file in a particular folder. Hopefully, I can have that file put there by the first phase without creating a race condition. I'll have to think about that some more! This whole process is supposed to run in the middle of the night so as not to bother the user.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Bill

Thanks
    I don't understand why there is a need to re-boot at all. Just have the Task Scheduler run your batch file to pack up the needed data and copy it as needed.

You might consider having two tasks, one for each account. The data should probably be separate anyway.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JC Zorkoff View Post
    I don't understand why there is a need to re-boot at all. ...
    Well, this is my wife's new laptop that I am setting up and she has a bad habit of leaving stuff open and running over night all the time. And in the past she never reboots so my current reboot before the backup is to make sure everything is closed and the computer is running fairly smoothly when the backup is done. With the new laptop I might be able to get her to leave things more cleaned up at night and if that happens the reboot would probably not be necessary. However, I've always liked the idea of rebooting occasionally just to make sure the OS keeps running correctly and I doubt that she will voluntarily do that very often!

Bill

Thanks
    That is a bit heavy handed. If the reason for a re-boot is to close running applications, you run the risk of losing any unsaved data.

I understand the desire for an occasional re-boot to keep the computer running properly. Personally, I shut down my computer just before dinner and it stays off until after breakfast.