New Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft's XP Data Transfer Tool -- Useful?

Like lots of others, I need to migrate from XP-Pro to something else (I have chosen Windows 7). Microsoft's Windows 7 instructions for migration are both complicated and don't appear to allow for direct migration. Microsoft has now announced a free XP Data Transfer Tool (in conjunction with Laplink). That tool and all of Laplink's products, so far as I can tell, all envision abandoning one's current PC for a new PC. My current PC is perfectly capable of running Windows 7 as it easily exceeds all of the minimum hardware requirements.

Is there any relatively simple way to go from XP to Windows 7 on the same PC?

Microsoft, from what I can see, doesn't seem to want to aid such XP migrations by making such upgrades reasonably easy as their free tool is useless in my kind of a situation. Any and all advice and/or recommendations to simplify the XP to Windows 7 migration will be greatfully received.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik37 View Post
    Like lots of others, I need to migrate from XP-Pro to something else (I have chosen Windows 7). Microsoft's Windows 7 instructions for migration are both complicated and don't appear to allow for direct migration. Microsoft has now announced a free XP Data Transfer Tool (in conjunction with Laplink). That tool and all of Laplink's products, so far as I can tell, all envision abandoning one's current PC for a new PC. My current PC is perfectly capable of running Windows 7 as it easily exceeds all of the minimum hardware requirements.

Is there any relatively simple way to go from XP to Windows 7 on the same PC?

Microsoft, from what I can see, doesn't seem to want to aid such XP migrations by making such upgrades reasonably easy as their free tool is useless in my kind of a situation. Any and all advice and/or recommendations to simplify the XP to Windows 7 migration will be greatfully received.
    Laplink has a tool to allow in place upgrades, it doesn't seem to be free, though - they call it the Windows 7 Upgrade Assistant: http://www.laplink.com/index.php/ind...-for-windows-8
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Henrik37 (2014-04-05)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You can use Microsoft's Easy Transfer tool as long as you use an external drive for the migration. You can download the tool from Windows Easy Transfer for transferring from Windows XP (32 bit) to Windows 7. Install it your XP machine and try it. If you use the advanced options you can determine what data gets selected to be transferred if you want something different than the defaults. The tool produces reports of what it did so you can try several times to ensure you get what you want. See the "refresh computer" section at How to Use Windows Easy Transfer for details on using Easy Transfer when the source and destination are the same PC.

Remember, no matter what you'll need to reinstall your programs in Windows 7.

Be sure to backup your XP machine before you start the Windows 7 install. That way you can always get back to a known point if there are severe problems.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion. I was unaware that Laplink had an 'in place' XP to Win7 upgrade tool. After reading both the instruction manual and user comments for the Laplink tool however, it doesn't look to me like the Laplink tool is significantly superior to simply doing a 'new install' of Win7 per Microsoft's instructions. It is unfortunate that Microsoft seems unwilling to provide a tool for making 'in place' and other types of XP to Win7/8 upgrades both easy and convenient. One has to wonder, though, if anyone at Microsoft ever looks at such problems from the beginner's and moderately skilled user's perspective.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik37 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I was unaware that Laplink had an 'in place' XP to Win7 upgrade tool. After reading both the instruction manual and user comments for the Laplink tool however, it doesn't look to me like the Laplink tool is significantly superior to simply doing a 'new install' of Win7 per Microsoft's instructions. It is unfortunate that Microsoft seems unwilling to provide a tool for making 'in place' and other types of XP to Win7/8 upgrades both easy and convenient. One has to wonder, though, if anyone at Microsoft ever looks at such problems from the beginner's and moderately skilled user's perspective.
    I used an early version of the tool, back in 2009, when I migrated a XP, 32 bit OS to a 7, 64 bit oS version. I confess I was quite happy with the results. My reason to use the tool was to avoid reinstalling the many programs I had on XP and that worked quite well. I confess to have been very impressed on how smooth the process was.

It is important to state that the Windows 7 process will proceed as a clean install. The Laplink tool intervenes at the end of the process, importing your programs's details and registry settings to your new Windows 7 installation. If you don't care about having to reinstall the programs, then the tool is not really relevant, not more than using Windows Easy Transfer utility.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmmmmm... The way I read the manual, I gathered that the Laplink tool could not be relied upon to reliably move one's applications to the new OS. Since you got good results with that aspect of the tool, maybe it is worth trying. One question, though, how were your hard drives connected to your PC? Mine are all U320 SCSI and my impression is that using the SCSI hard drive approach makes Win7 clean installs a bit complicated. Thanks again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I did have excellent results, 4 years ago. I was quite impressed. I did have quite a few programs, dev tools, databases and such and everything but Office and Adobe Acrobat moved smoothly. A repair fixed Office and I dumped Acrobat (it was an old version and I didn't really use it).

Of course, I never needed to use it again, since then, so I cannot really say how the current versions fare.

My disks were SATA. I am afraid I have never used SCSI disks with systems I installed myself. Not sure what the situation is with Windows, but best have the disk drivers at hand, before you start the upgrade.
    Rui
    -------
    R4