New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8.1 Storage Spaces

I understand the concept of freely adding more drives for Storage Spaces and adding them to a pool or creating a new pool. Does Win 8.1 automatically use "Storage Spaces" as necessary to store data files or is the storage space strictly for the user to use as needed like an extra data/file history/backup drive?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You create a virtual drive in a storage space which you use like any other drive. See if Storage Spaces: FAQ helps. Also from TechNet Storage Spaces Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) which is much more detailed and technical.

Joe

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

edn3005 (2014-03-31),mrjimphelps (2014-03-31)

Thanks
    This is very helpful information. When I first began reading the information, I was concerned that if you use multiple drives to get one big virtual drive, and one of the drives failed, you would have a problem on your hands. But I then found that you can use mirror and parity drives to make sure that if one or more actual drives fail, your data is protected.

One situation where this may be particularly useful is when you are using an external hard drive. If you connect two identical external hard drives to the computer and mirror them, and one fails, the other would continue without missing a beat. The reason I believe that this would be useful is because external hard drives seem to have a high failure rate.