Thanks

View or Document CMOS or BIOS Settings On a Running Computer

I understand how to enter the CMOS settings and change them while my computer is booting.

I want to know if any of the MS operating systems allow a user to create a file that documents all of the CMOS settings at a given time. Alternatively, I'm interested if anyone has written a utility that will do this.

Clearly it would be useful to document where I'm starting from before I get in over my head. Such a document would be very useful when replying to experts questions in a forum thread.

The only way I know how to do that now is to snap digital photographs of my monitor as I scroll through the setup selecting each item in turn. Just to be clear, I realize it would probably be disastrous to be able to make adjustments while a machine is fully booted to the OS. I just want a record of the settings as they are in the moment.

I tried searching for this but could not find Google terms that didn't give 0 answers or way too many answers to scroll through. Do more experienced users know if it is possible or if not, why it is impossible?

Thanks,
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Thanks
    I don't believe what you are asking for exists. I agree it would be useful.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    There are new computers running UEFI, that allow checking and changing system settings from within Windows. I can do that on my Toshiba u920t.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

This is doable as I used to have code that I wrote in C, as a learning exercise, that would pull about 90% of the information from the BIOS of a PC-XT or PC-AT. Yes that was quite a while ago and I don't seem to be able to lay my hands on the code (at least it's not on my laptop and that's all I have available at the moment). There is also this CMOS Backup/Restore program that accomplishes this trick to do it's magic. I used to use this utility constantly in my younger days when the batteries keeping the data in the CMOS weren't so reliable. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Back when printers did not require Windows to operate, you could press Shift-PrintSCr on each main setup screen and you would have a hard copy of the current setup. Alas, that isn't possible with most of today's printers.

Thanks
    Many BIOS' allow you to save the settings (for mass deployment to identical devices). I don't know about its current range but for many years Toshiba laptops included a Windows utility to make changes to the BIOS so, as RetiredGeek says, it's most definitely do-able.

Hope this helps...