New Lounger
    Thanks

Jetclean and bluesprig toolbar

Hello.

I have never used a junk cleaner until now. I came across to CCleaner and Jetclean, and I am undecided: CCleaner seems more widespread whilst Jetclean seems to offer better performance.

The point with Jetclean is that it offers to install the 'bluesprig toolbar'. I stopped the Jetclean installation when I was asked to install this toolbar. There was no information on the bluesprig website. A quick search with Google describes it as an adware and a browser hijacker:

http://www.tips4virus.com/how-to-rem...sprig-toolbar/
    http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/BlueS...5-program.aspx

What took me by surprise is that the developer of a junk cleaner would insert adware in its program, although the user is given the choice to install it or not, and that the junk cleaner developer is also developer of adware. BlueSprig defines itself as "your one-stop shop for security, privacy, performance and efficiency solutions for mobile devices and PCs".

I scanned the installer with Comodo Internet Security and did not detect any threat.
    I found a useful discussion at:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=356738

Do you know something about Jetclean? Did someone of you install it and find some threat after the installation? Would you recommend it anyway without toolbar?

Many thanks in advance.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Some foistware is there because the developer gets a commission on every install. I am always suspicious of developers who see that as a revenue model instead of relying on ads on their web site and donations, but that's just the way I see it.

[/off topic]

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, this is not the case of being paid for, or raising some money from, a third-party software.
    BlueSprig is both the JetClean developer AND the BlueSprig toolbar developer.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    That is an odd situation.
    What sort of performance boost does Jetclean claim and can they verify the claim? If not I'd avoid it.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In its homepage JetClean claims to be better than CCleaner and Advanced SystemCare.
    MajorGeeks also offers to download the installer, although warning the user that "This program is advertising supported and may offer to install third party programs".
    Majorgeeks offers also a video tutorial.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    MG doesn't say anything except a straight quote from the program author.
    The "review" at CNET says it does things but doesn't say if anything is improved. Not really a recommendation.

I am not a fan of registry /computer cleaners as I've yet to see any particular benefit of their use.

cheers, Paul