New Lounger
    Thanks

Junction Points?

Here at work our sales force uses a home grown sales application written preVISTA, that gets installed at C:\PROGRAM FILES\application. The database is in a folder named DATA under application. At least when using XP that's where it's stored. Now, after a new install under 7, and running it the first time, the actual db gets saved to C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\application\Data. There are db utilities that wont work because of this, and it's caused me a great deal of frustration the last two days as it's the first I realized it. The application works fine until we try to use one of the utilities or have to move the db to a new machine. (my 'ah ha' moment)

I will mention that the person before me whose position I filled a few short months ago had a solution for this. But of course it's not documented anywhere.

How can I stop the OS from moving the data base? Thanks, I appreciate any help I can get.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Apparently this had nothing to do with junction points. Disabled UAC (User Account Control) and it works as it should. Imagine that...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Be aware that putting data files into "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" is not a good idea with Windows 7 and later. You will almost surely have to modify the security attributes to allow users permission to make modifications.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Use symbolic links

One way to get around the problem is to leave the DATA in the folder C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\application\DATA and create a symbolic link to it in C:\PROGRAM FILES\application.
    To do this, open a command prompt as an Administrator, make sure that you do not already have a directory called
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\application\DATA then:
    CD C:\PROGRAM FILES\application
    mklink /d DATA C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\application\DATA

Because the directory C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\application\DATA can be modified by the user you can leave the UAC properly enabled protecting the user from bad behaviour.
    Last edited by greytech; 2014-04-03 at 07:15.
    Expert help is less costly than inexpert help

5. The Following User Says Thank You to greytech For This Useful Post:

Paul T (2014-04-03)