New Lounger
    Thanks

USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0

Hi,
    I am going to upgrade my computer with a new mobo (Asus Z87 Pro) along with memory and an i7 cpu. I want to use my existing box (Coolermaster) which is about 10 years old. I was wondering about USB case connections and wiring which are of course all USB 2. The new mobo has mostly usb 3 connections plus USB 3 Boost?? so was wondering if I can get USB 3 speed from the old ones. Other than speed about all I know about USB is that 2 is black and 3 is blue.

If I have to upgrade/replace all case connections, can I get them from say Newegg or ??

Thanks for your input.
    Ron

Thanks
    so was wondering if I can get USB 3 speed from the old ones
    No...cables aren't exactly the same.
    Your front panels will undoubtedly be USB 2.0, but the rear will not matter.
    If your concerned about it, get a powered USB 3.0 hub for rear access, instead of looking to replace potentially difficult to find
    front case USB outlets.
    If I have to upgrade/replace all case connections, can I get them from say Newegg or ??
    The best place to query such things is Coolmaster.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Peterboroughron (2014-04-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info Clint and sorry for my delayed response. I contacted Coolermaster and they finally replied - buy one of their new boxes. So after considering all options I finally decided to build this new rig from scratch rather than upgrade.

Thanks for helping set me on the "right" path.
    Ron

Thanks
    Did they offer you a deal on a new case?

I've got the itch to do another build too, but I think I'm going to wait for the X99 to come out later this year.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No Deals at all. They suggested Newegg. I think the X99 will what I will probably wait for as well, although there always seems to be a better and faster (in nanoseconds) model on the horizon. I just finished an upgrade with the ASUS Z87 Pro and was very pleased with the result. It takes the Intel 4770K to unlock all of the features of the cpu & the mobo. I still use Win 7 64k though.
    Thanks again CLiNT

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You may want to read through this thread (and links) should you experience any USB 3.0 connectivity/speed problems http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l-USB-HD-is-on

New Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade an old case with USB 3.0 on the front

I just updated an old PC that I built years ago, in an Antec case. I bought a "2-Port USB 3.0 Front Panel", from Newegg, here for about $10. Search for "usb 3.0 panel" as they have several.

It installs in a floppy drive bay and plugs directly into the mobo. Couldn't be easier. I still have the two USB 2.0 ports on the front as well as the ones on the back.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    StanStr,
    Thanks for that info. I live in Canada and that particular item is not available at Newegg Canada. However there are a few others listed that I will investigate this weekend.
    Thanks very much for your thoughtfulness.
    Ron

Lounger
    Thanks
    I asked a similar question this week at my local, independent computer store. I was told a new standard is in the works that is NOT backwards compatible. They suggested I wait and see, besides which, my desktop computer is old enough that USB 3.0 may not get me any speed boosts unless I upgrade a lot more than just adding a USB 3 card.

So I'll be waiting, and when I rebuild the computer I'll also have them put on Windows 8.X, already set up for keyboard and mouse.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well that's interesting. It's not too often that something like USB that is central to every computer would not be backwards compatible. Do you know who the manufacturer might be? Also Win 8.? may also be history as I hear Msft is working on a complete overhaul of the Windows package. Good luck with your new rebuild.
    Ron

Thanks
    You can read about the new USB standard here:
    http://www.zdnet.com/new-usb-plug-co...ws-7000023935/

Jerry