Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy MS Office transferable from old to new laptop?

So, my old work laptop is reaching the end of its lifespan. It's an Acer Extensa 5630Z running Vista. The new laptop is a HP Pavillion running Windows 8. I have installed the same 2007 version of office that I was using on the old machine and copied my files over but when I open them they haven't made the transition in one piece. Worse than that, the new laptop doesn't seem to recognise my version of Office because it still keeps asking me to buy the damn thing from Microsoft. My word and Excel programmes have to be selected as new defaults for everything and I'm beginning to think it's a conspiracy to get my beleaguered boss to spend even more money. I had fervently hoped that by not changing the version of Office I was using, all my thousands of contracts and Invoices etc would transfer across without a hitch but boy, was I mistaken. I know the original document templates were written quite some time ago and on the old laptop they were displayed as running 'in compatibility mode' but I can't find any way to activate that mode again, if it's even possible.

Can anybody shed any light on this? I unfortunately know nothing about computers so you'll have to use very small words.

Many thanks in advance.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Often you can't transfer the Office software between machines. This depends on which actual version of Office 2007 you had running on the old machine. Typically, Microsoft sell a 'cheaper' OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version of Office to be sold with new computers and this cheaper version is licenced to be only used on that particular machine.

If you bought the software separately from a shop then it would have a different licence that allows it to be installed on a set number (typically 1) of machines but might possibly require you to remove it from a previous machine before installing it on another.

You will have to check on the terms in your software licence to verify the situation on your machines.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks
    If you try to activate Office 2007 by phone, it will tell you if your version is transferable:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...001233434.aspx

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LudditeAdmin View Post
    the new laptop doesn't seem to recognise my version of Office because it still keeps asking me to buy the damn thing from Microsoft.
    That suggests you haven't activated it yet. To do that, you'll need your Office Product Key. It should be with the original media or, if you bought a download version, in a separate email. If you can't find it, you can recover it from the old laptop (assuming Office is still installed there), with the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/). As Andrew mentioned, though, you can't transfer an OEM version.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Frequently new computers will include a Trial version of Office. My experience is that has to be uninstalled before installing a different version. Also uninstalling the Trial version may kick in the free Starter version which includes Word, Excel and OneNote. These Office actions came about after Microsoft quite Works with version 9.

Thanks
    I am about to try transferring from Windows Vista on one laptop to Windows 8.1 on another. Not looking forward to it. I have four versions of Word installed (none OEM) and will be using PCMover from Laplink. Old computer is literally falling apart but still running. I feel your pain.

Question for original poster: Is the computer asking you to buy Office 2013/365 or is it asking you to buy Office 2007? It could be either and what you need to do depends on which it is trying to get you to buy.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've found it very difficult to move Office or its applications due to its interweaving with Windows, has always worked best to install from disc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I've found it very difficult to move Office or its applications due to its interweaving with Windows, has always worked best to install from disc.
    I'll let you know! Office is the easy one(s) although I don't look forward to Outlook and about 10 different accounts. So long as both computers will work, it shouldn't be too tough.

It is the 50+ other programs that I want moved.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Outlook is part of the Office suite of applications but can be had by itself.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    LapLink's PC Mover successfully moved the following programs to a new computer with Windows 8.1:
    Office 2010
    Office 2007
    Office 2003
    FrontPage 2003
    Visio 2003
    (among others)
    Note, none of these were OEM versions and I did have to re-enter the product key for Office 2010.

The move (390G) took more than 24 hours.
    Most other programs transferred well.

As far as I can tell, all of my Word settings and preferences transferred. My Outlook email accounts also transferred although I had to re-enter passwords for some of them.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Kenyon View Post
    LapLink's PC Mover successfully moved the following programs to a new computer with Windows 8.1:
    Office 2010
    Office 2007
    Office 2003
    FrontPage 2003
    Visio 2003
    (among others)
    Note, none of these were OEM versions and I did have to re-enter the product key for Office 2010.

The move (390G) took more than 24 hours.
    Most other programs transferred well.

As far as I can tell, all of my Word settings and preferences transferred. My Outlook email accounts also transferred although I had to re-enter passwords for some of them.
    Good for you!!!

That sure simplified a lot. Hope the rest goes as smoothly.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not only is it possible, you can do it with Microsoft's blessing. I have had several laptops since I bought Office 2012.

First off, make sure that you are not transmitting your old Office version with the sale of the old computer (assuming that you sold it, of course). Then, simply install it on the new computer. It will not accept the Product Key but, rather, ask you to call Microsoft. Everything will be automated. Just make the call. You will be asked how many computers you are using Office on and just answer "one". Then you will have to enter about 50 (fifty!) alpha-numeric symbols and that will activate Office again.

For more information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

... just make sure to choose "Activate by phone".

Hope that helps!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LittlestMac View Post
    I have had several laptops since I bought Office 2012.
    Office 2012?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Office 97 also transferred and Word 97 runs! It didn't show up in the Start Page's list of programs but I checked, and it is there and works. I generally only use it to double check before telling someone that something will work in Word 97.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2014-04-10 at 11:10.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks

"Office 97 also transferred"

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Kenyon View Post
    Office 97 also transferred and Word 97 runs! It didn't show up in the Start Page's list of programs but I checked, and it is there and works. I generally only use it to double check before telling someone that something will work in Word 97.
    Hi Charles,
    What were the steps you took? I have just bought a PC with Windows 8.1 and would like to install my office 97. Most important would be Outlook Express for my emails and Excel.

Ren

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast