Lounger
    Thanks

Cloning operation "destroyed" hard drive

I did a clone today with ATI 2014, And I destroyed my hard drive. Acronis help support was no help at all. Told me I should have used the clone tool on the Boot disk, not the installed program.
    I called Dell and they are shipping me Windows 8 OS to reinstall.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Hi,

Sorry about your problem.

I cannot but disagree with Acronis support that cloning should be done from the boot disk. The ATI 2014 manual describes the procedure to follow and it does describe a procedure done from within Windows.

It's weird that a cloning procedure would destroy the origin disk because the original disk is not changed in any way, it is just read. Is it possible that it was also specified as the destination drive?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, sounds like they were just fishing with an excuse that might satisfy you. The software should have a better chance of erroring out before doing damage if it's run from the installation and the system partition is accidentally specified as the destination. The boot disk would just ask are you sure and then do it.

Lounger
    Thanks
    No. I made sure I had the correct source and target drives. I have seen a few others on the Acronis blog had the same problem.
    Acronis has a link correcting their manual at http://kB.Acronis.com/content/44741.
    I did the same cloning operation on my Windows 7 laptop at the same time with no problems.
    Could be a Windows 8 OS specific problem.
    Last edited by phillywill; 2014-04-02 at 18:40.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phillywill View Post
    No. I made sure I had the correct source and target drives. I have seen a few others on the Acronis blog had the same problem.
    Acronis has a link correcting their manual at http://kB.Acronis.com/content/44741.
    I did the same cloning operation on my Windows 7 laptop at the same time with no problems.
    Could be a Windows 8 OS specific problem.
    Hmm... that's a pretty serious failure. Looks unacceptable to me. There were Acronis TI versions that I skipped due to obvious quality control issues. Unfortunately, seems they still occur .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    how did you get dell to ship you a disk ?

Quote Originally Posted by phillywill View Post
    I did a clone today with ATI 2014, And I destroyed my hard drive. Acronis help support was no help at all. Told me I should have used the clone tool on the Boot disk, not the installed program.
    I called Dell and they are shipping me Windows 8 OS to reinstall.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If the drive is very messed up there may be problems when trying to install Windows. In that case you may wish to do a "secure erase" command which will wipe EVERYTHING on the hard drive so that you can start afresh. Depending on the capacity of the drive it may take several hours to securely erase the entire drive (if it's an SSD ot will complete in a few seconds). Stanford University offers the secure erase as a free download, or you can use Parted Magic to do it a little more easily.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to starvinmarvin For This Useful Post:

phillywill (2014-05-24)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post
    how did you get dell to ship you a disk ?
    I was surprised too! The support person made the offer. My computer was only a few months old atnthe time and still under their warranty, but I don't know if or why that would make a difference.