New Lounger
    Thanks

Need help with cloning a disk with Macrium Reflect Free

I've been trying for a day now to clone a disk with Macrium Reflect Free. I have read their forum, but I am not allowed to post without paying. These are the three error messages that appear when the clone fails:

1. Date 5/14/2014 9:08:58 PM
    Type Warning
    Event 12348
    Source VSS

Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: VSS was denied access to the root of volume \\?\Volume{59e02f7b-dbad-11e3-bf25-890c192b3a5e}\. Denying administrators from accessing volume roots can cause many unexpected failures, and will prevent VSS from functioning properly. Check security on the volume, and try the operation again.

Operation:
    Automatically choosing a diff-area volume
    Processing EndPrepareSnapshots

Context:
    Execution Context: System Provider

2. Date 5/14/2014 9:08:58 PM
    Type Warning
    Event 12348
    Source VSS

Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: VSS was denied access to the root of volume \\?\Volume{59e02f7b-dbad-11e3-bf25-890c192b3a5e}\. Denying administrators from accessing volume roots can cause many unexpected failures, and will prevent VSS from functioning properly. Check security on the volume, and try the operation again.

Operation:
    Automatically choosing a diff-area volume
    Processing EndPrepareSnapshots

Context:

3. Date 5/14/2014 9:08:57 PM
    Type Warning
    Event 12348
    Source VSS

Operation:
    Removing auto-release shadow copies
    Loading provider

Context:

Can anyone give me detailed directions on how to fix this?

Many thanks.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well security can usually mean two things; 1, security and 2, corruption of some kind.

Have you tried to clone using a boot disc/usb key instead of from within Windows?

Are you running as an administrator for this procedure?
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2014-05-15 at 10:25.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The clone process uses the internal Windows Volume Snapshot Service to take a snapshot of the disk that is then copied to the backup location. It seems you have security settings that deny the local administrator account access to the disk to allow the VSS to take the snapshot. To check this Open Windows Explorer and right click on C:, then select Properties, Security. The administrator group should have Full Access per my screen shot.

Capture.PNG

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both for the input. I am running as an Administrator. I haven't tried cloning from a boot disk. I did as Paul T suggested and found that I did not have full access. The clone failed at 35% after that change. I have a WD 1TB HD and I downloaded the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnosis program from their website and it discovered several bad areas on the disk. I can't seem to repair them. Could that be what the problem is?

Thanks
    Yes, that could very well be.
    I would also try and make an image of the drive as well, preferably by creating the image from a Macrium boot disk,
    and NOT from within Windows.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll try that today CLiNT. Thanks. FUN Downtown also said to try that. OK - now I have read and re-read the the difference between CLONE & IMAGE. CLONE I can simply swap hard drives and all of my programs & data are there and ready to go. IMAGE my programs are not there just the data? With an IMAGE and a new hard drive I'd first have to restore all of my programs and then put the IMAGE on the disk?

With errors on my current HD will the CLONE or IMAGE also copy the errors rendering the new HD useless?

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR PATIENCE!

Thanks
    With an IMAGE and a new hard drive I'd first have to restore all of my programs and then put the IMAGE on the disk?
    No. With an image created of the previous drive, all you would need to do is restore it to the new drive.

With errors on my current HD will the CLONE or IMAGE also copy the errors rendering the new HD useless?
    Render the drive useless...No
    It's possible, if the disk error is serious enough, the imaging application will catch it and refuse (error) to proceed further.

But it's worth the effort as the alternative is a clean install.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    A clone copies all data to another drive to make an exact replica.
    An image copies all data to a file to allow you to make an exact replica at a later date, also known as restore.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to close out this thread - the disk was toast when I attempted to clone/image it. I used the Macrium on my laptop and it worked perfectly. I installed a new hard drive in my desktop and . . . you guessed it, had to do a clean install. I did have my data backed up to Carbonite.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's input. MANY thanks. Lesson learned.

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Rogue,

Glad you got it sorted out. This experience would seem to come under the heading of "GIGO."

Zig

New Lounger
    Thanks
    GIGO indeed.

It's finally repaired, after four days of restoring from Carbonite. Now to make a clone and store it and set up backup with image . . .