New Lounger
    Thanks

Notification Icons don't always load at bootup or at reboot

I have a strange development that started about 4 or 5 months ago.
    I run Win7 Ultimate 64bit and for some reason, each time I boot up in the morning or reboot, not all of the notification Icons (to the left of the clock) will load.
    Sometimes it will be Webroot that doesn't load the notification icon, sometimes it will be Eset, sometimes it will be Skype, etc etc. It doesn't appear to always be the same icons that fail to show up in the notification area. Most of the time, even though the icon has not loaded, the program has. I can go to Task manager, for example and see that Eset has loaded even though the icon is not showing. There are, however, a couple of programs that do not load if the icon is not showing in the notification area.
    I've searched online, but find nothing that is exactly like my issue. Before you ask, yes I've set the icons to "show icons and notifications"...that's why they sometimes load in the notification area.
    Any ideas why this is happening?

Administrator
    Thanks
    If the UI component tries to initialize before Windows is ready it may fail but the actual service part of the application will still run. You could try one of Autoruns for Windows or WhatInStartup to manage what is started when your system boots. Note: Autoruns produces a large amount of information. You are interested in the Logon tab.

You can also use Startup Delayer to delay startup items. This can help things be a little more orderly than starting everything at once.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

sag (2014-04-03)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks JoeP517. I do have Autoruns and had unchecked a number of items in the logon tab, but did not uncheck any of the Microsoft Corp entries since I was unsure what could or could not be safely unchecked. Besides, many times the google search gave info that was Greek to me.
    Guess I'll try unchecking more and see what (bad) happens.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe your taskbar settings are keeping them from displaying. Can you see them in the "hidden items"? If your taskbar is locked, it might only be able to display the first thing to load. Unlocking the taskbar may allow the system tray to expand and show them all.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to riffraff For This Useful Post:

sag (2014-04-03)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sometimes I have 1 to 3 of the notifications Icons not loaded but the service appears to be running. I suspect it is some type of time out issue. Black Viper http://www.blackviper.com/service-co...onfigurations/ might help you figure things out.
    Joe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe S For This Useful Post:

sag (2014-04-03)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    riffraff, if the icon doesn't show in the notification area it will not show in the hidden area. As a matter of fact if I go into Customize and try to click on the icon that is not showing, I get a message that says something about it not being active.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe S, I've heard of Black Viper before, but was told along time ago that some of the tweaks that he and others suggest may actually do more harm than good so I kinda stay away. But thanks for the suggestion.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I you post a screenshot of your startup items someone here will give their opinion about what you can get away with removing from startup. Usually there is very, very little that is actually required to be in startup.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517:
    Here is a screen shot of just the Microsoft Logon entries.
    Thanks for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    The Microsoft entries are most likely NOT what is slowing the system. Can you post the entries in the two "Run" keys?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe:
    These are the only things running in the two Run keys:
    Classic Start Menu
    egui (eset)
    SunJavaupdateSched
    IAStoricon (Intel Rapid Storage Technology)
    IDrive background Process (IDrive cloud storage)
    IDrive Tray
    Ghost 15
    WRSVC (Webroot SecureAnywhere)
    ZoneAlarm Pro

Idrive only runs once per day at noon.
    I tried updating IAstor but that didn't change the issue and disabling it didn't help either.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried a clean boot? See How to perform a clean boot in Windows for details.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe:
    I am familiar with how to do a clean boot. I tried it a while back, but what happens is that most of the notification icons will not load when you do a clean boot. So, unfortunately, this does not provide any insight into the issue.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I realize this suggestion is time consuming and tedious but you could try disabling startup items one at a time. I'd pick ones such as Classic Start Menu or Webroot first. Pick one. Then re-boot. If that helps try re-booting several times over a few days. If the problem disappears you've identified the culprit. If not, re-enable the disabled item and pick another.

Once you identify the culprit, check for an update.

Joe

Thanks
    I noticed you have Eset and WebRoot running at the same time. Running two real time AV apps is usually not a good idea as they can interfere with each other. Uninstall one of them.

Jerry