Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Huge (8+GB) Temporary Internet File Folder - Win 7 Pro 32

I have a temporary internet folder that contains 45,000+ files most with .js extensions and .png extensions. The javascript files are about 101KB each and the PNG files are about 1KB each. Many of the files have dates going back several years. The folder is 8+GB which represents a huge waste of backup space and backup time.

JSD Software SizeExplorer comes to a stop when accessing the folder when I attempt to determine folder sizes on my C drive.

I have tried CCleaner, it slows to a crawl and seems to take 1 second per file when it encounters the temporary internet files folders.

I have run the native Win 7 Diskcleaner several times yet the folder remains immune to it being removed. I have managed to delete files from Explorer but it is a very labor intensive process which is unrealistic for the huge number of files.

Is there a better method short of complete disk wipe and reinstall to reclaim the space?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What's the path and name of the folder?

Have you tried clearing the cache from within whichever browser(s) you've used in the past several years?

Bruce

Thanks
    Limit the amount of space use by TIFs, I use 250Mb: in Internet Options, General tab > Browsing history, Settings button > Disk space to use. Once reduced and set, Windows should reduce the amount of disk space used/allowed. You may need to reboot.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    “I have run the native Win 7 Diskcleaner several times yet the folder remains immune to it being removed”
    I don’t think you don’t want to remove the folder, just limit its contents

Is it possible you have programs running that the files you mention stem from and will not go away while such programs are in use

What does Disk Cleanup report to be cleaned?
    Temporary Internet Files is usually checked
    Temporary files might not be checked; check it in
    I would also click on Clean up system files
    Regardless of how long it takes for Disk Cleanup to do its job, let it run as long as it takes

As mentioned, limit TIF’S in Internet Options; I also use 250 MB’s
    Have Delete browsing history on exit checked
    I also limit Days to keep pages in history to 3
    --- You can go back and increase it if you wish once your temporary internet files are under control
    On the Advanced tab in Internet Options down in the Security section, you could check Empty Internet Files Folder when browser is closed
    --- You can go back and uncheck it once your temporary internet files are under control
    When deleting Browsing History is Temporary Internet files website files checked in as well as the other default checked items?

There are many files dating back several years
    Are any of the files fonts in blue or green?

Run Ccleaner last and see how it goes

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for response.

I have cleaned the cache several times within IE10 and IE11 in the past and now in the present.

The path is C:\users\TJS\appdata\local\Microsoft\Windows\Tempo rary Internet Files\low\Content.IE5\UY50908X

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Satrow Thank you for your response.

I had the TIF size set to 50MB. I changed the size down to 8MB exited IE11 and other programs. Switched user and Logged into my Admin account. Navigated to the TIF folders (see full path in response to BruceB above) properties reported 399,501 files (slightly more than the 45,000+ I thought, so much for my memory) using 7.68GB space (which is down from the 8+GB I saw on Saturday). There were more than 12 folders which had as few as 20 filers to as many as 980 files, but all were less than 250MB. See my response to cmptrgy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    cmptrgy

Thank you for your response.

Although I have not had delete browsing history on exit in effect, I had only save 1 day of browsing history.

I reran native Disk Cleanup. It reported only 139 MB temporary internet files. In response to satrow above, folder properties reported 399,501 files, 6.25GB using 7.68GB disk space. Running Disk Cleanup did not touch the folder.

Have not been brave enough to use the delete system files option.

Seeing how slow CCleaner was, about 1 file / sec it would take 110 hours non stop to analyze the folder!!!

Thanks
    Set aside some time and let CCleaner do it's job, it may take some time considering how much you have in there to remove.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Have not been brave enough to use the delete system files option"
    --- I know what you mean. It doesn't delete system files
    --- I started using it when it was recommended in one of WS Newsletter
    ------ "On a large drive, even just a few extra percent of junk files can eat gigabytes worth of disk space"
    --- I think it was in Using Windows’ hidden Disk Cleanup options
    http://windowssecrets.com/langalist-...leanup-options

Have you tied "On the Advanced tab in Internet Options down in the Security section, you could check Empty Internet Files Folder when browser is closed"?

On CCleaner, even though it trudges along it wouldn't surprise me if it picks up speed in the process of doing its thing and I think Clint is correct

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Go Start and type %temp% then press Enter - click on Organize - Select all - Organize - Delete

You will need to confirm that you want to delete those files and it may not delete all in one go where you have a large file.

Check the box, click on Skip then repeat the process where you may then have to click on an admin button.

You can manually empty the Recycle Bin to ease the burden on CCleaner but you will find CCleaner will run much faster in cleaning the remainder.

I have my Delete browsing history on exit/Settings set to 100MB as well as all of the boxes checked for Delete.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RESOLVED

Thank you everyone for your insights. In the end, I bought the CCleaner Pro and let it run for 4 hours. It successfully removed the recalcitrant files and folder freeing up the space. I will update my settings to delete browsing history on exit to lessen the probability of a future issue. However, I'm still uneasy about cleaning system files.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to selneko For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-04-04)

Thanks
    I would do a defrag, now that you have cleaned out all of those files.

Reboot into Safe Mode, and open File Explorer. Right click on the C: drive, and choose Properties. Choose Tools, then Defragment.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I would do a defrag, now that you have cleaned out all of those files.

Reboot into Safe Mode, and open File Explorer. Right click on the C: drive, and choose Properties. Choose Tools, then Defragment.
    Won't hurt but there is no need to do an immediate defrag. Windows 7 will automatically do a scheduled defrag periodically.

Jerry

Thanks
    You might also try experimenting with the free "privacy Mantra". It seems to be much quicker than CCleaner.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would also run Error Checking. Open Properties for the hard drive and click on the Tools tab
    Apply checkmarks for both Automatically fix file system errors & Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, press start. You will get a message the computer needs to be restarted.
    There is a command prompt to do that but I don't recall what it is

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast