Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2010, email report pages to separate people

We send quarterly reports of earnings, from sales at many retailers, to our content providers. Previously we printed the Access earnings report and put it in the envelope with the check--not fun for hundreds of people.

Now I want to report digitally. The only app I can find to maybe accomplish this is Total Access Emailer [TAE]:
    http://www.fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAccess/Emails.asp
    It allows for the creation and attachment of PDFs to emails generated automatically from a query-like setup. Each PDF is the result of filtering the report by name, so every recipient gets their own 'page', ie the equivalent of what went in their envelope for snail mail.

Anyone know of any alternatives? I'm not happy with TAE overall so far [trial acquisition difficulty, install quirks, lack of response], but my first functionality test suggests it will do exactly what I need. If there's anything else out there with such slick functionality but a better 'environment', I'd love to check it out. Integration with Outlook 2010 Contacts would be a nice plus.

Thanks

ETA October 6th: I bought the product mentioned, mainly due to the wealth of functions and options in it. My first significant use of it yesterday went like a dream. So the product is excellent, especially all the preview options--make sure to use them while setting up an email blast.

I did have a further glitch while ordering the full product--their server suffered a 500 internal error at checkout. However calling them completed my purchase quickly and easily, and my download and install all went well. I also heard from their support a couple of times re my sufferings, they appeared interested an concerned.

Summary: product top-class, supporting services need improving but there's good response during work days.
    Last edited by Mike Feury; 2011-10-06 at 09:20. Reason: Updating user experience

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,045 Posts
    A couple years ago I had to do something similar. I solved the issue by using Office automation, that is a simple procedure written in VBA, from within Access, that used Outlook to send the reports (which were sent either in Excel format - from queries - or in PDF format, printed from reports). It's pretty easy to do it, actually, whether you send personalized documents or the same copy to all recipients.

It's so simple that I don't really think it's worth to buy a third party app - unless you need to send thousands of emails, in which case you'd need to consider whether those emails are allowed by your ISP.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Mike Feury (2011-10-02)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I agree with ruirib - we have developed several applications that email from Access using Office Automation of Outlook, and send to 800 or more recipients, each with a customized attachment. There are some caveats however. You are likely to have some issues with your ISP when you send that many emails - we actually had one client who had to switch because their ISP limited them to 250 emails in any 5 minute period. Other issues that are ongoing, are the maintenance of email addresses for recipients, and problems with recipient spam filters. You may save on postage, but there is no such thing as a free email!
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ruiri and Wendell for the info that this can be easily programmed--good direction to know.

ISP shouldn't be a problem, I already email similar embedded Excel reports to the same folks, but I could batch and delay the send anyway to be safer, since it's not a frequent thing.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you need any help with the code, I would be glad to help. Probably to make it easier to use, some info on tables and fields and reports involved would help.

Thanks
    Mike,

I did this recently for our homeowners association, with a little help from the experts right here. I had Access write the filtered report pages to a PDF file using PDFCreator (free), then created the email via VBA code {office automation as mentioned eariler}, and topped it off with an outlook macro to send all the files in the Drafts folder (this allows you to double check before sending if you choose, or add comments to a specific client's email). If you want I'll be glad to post the code.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Mike Feury (2011-10-03)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys, most helpful. I'll stew on it with a colleague before deciding.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I had Access write the filtered report pages to a PDF file using PDFCreator (free), then created the email via VBA code
    With Access 2007 and 2010 you can send reports as PDF attachments using DoCmd.SendObject. The pdf format is now built in to Access, so there is no longer any need for an external pdf creator.
    Regards
    John

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi
    I've found that I have same task
    Can you help me

New Lounger
    Thanks

email report pages to separate people in Access 2010/13

Ruirib,

I am looking to do the same thing in Access, I have a report that need email to different people on a weekly basis. The office automaton looks like the answer, however, I had 0 knowledge on VB codes and I am not sure how to proceed from here. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Robert

Administrator
    Thanks
    skylab1,

Welcome to the Lounge,

Is that a report that already exists as a file or are you going to create the report with Access?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ruirib,

The report is already done in Access, 71 pages and more are added each week as more record are append to the database. The reports are separate by name so each person's report are different, currently we print it out and send it to each person via inter office mail; it would be great if I can send it by email to each person's own report.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Do you have the email addresses in the database? Can you tell me the name of the table and the name of the fields where the email address is kept?
    Are the reports already saved to file, and if so where and how are these reports named?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    yes the email address is in a separate table, each user also has their own ID number. The report are save as PDF from Access just one report with all the pages, it do not creative individual report for each person. See attach screen cap. instructor table.JPGreport.JPG

Administrator
    Thanks
    So how should it work? Send an individual email to each user attaching a file with a known name, located in a preset folder?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast