Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't install IE 9 : Windows 7 Pro OS (Cont'd)

SECOND ATTEMPT

Dear Forum Members:

When I try to upgr. IE 8 to IE 9, I get Internet Explorer did not finish installing message on IE 9 for Windows 7 (64 Bit) installer.

Please help!

Thanks, CB

Thanks
    See if the answer given here helps:
    http://www.techsupportall.com/how-do...sh-installing/

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry:

The steps you sent are not resolving my problem. I cannot install IE 9 or IE 10. One thing I am noticing is that when I launch 'Turn Windows Features on or off' IE 10 is staying 'unchecked' now even after restart. Before, every time I launched 'Turn Windows Features on or off' then unchecked IE 10, and rebooted, it would check itself back on automatically (i.e., IE 10 would be checked after reboot).

Please help!

Thanks,

CB

Thanks
    Do you have a System Restore point prior to the first time you tried to install IE 9? If so, execute it and then try to install IE 10. Also turn off all Security software (AV and Firewall) prior to the IE 10 install.

Jerry

Thanks
    Also, go to Control Panel > Programs and features > Click on View insatlled updates. Scroll though all the items and look for IE 9 and/or IE 10. If present, double click on it to uninstall. This should be done prior to and after the System Restore.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A couple years ago or so my system upgraded my IE 8 to IE 9. Then I believe I downgraded IE 9 back to IE 8.

My system restore utility does not go back that far.

Note: IE 9, nor IE 10 are not present in Installed Updates area in Control Panel.

I think my registry might be screwed up. Please help! CB

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you still only have IE 8 and have been unable to install any later IE versions then they won't show in Installed Updates and in Features, it should only display as Internet Explorer.

It may also help if you reset IE 8 to defaults prior to attempting the upgrade.

I don't know if there's anything wrong with your Windows Update Components but this MS Fixit may fix that http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Just as IE 9 installation has prerequisites, so has IE 10 and this MS article should help with those for IE 10 - I wouldn't bother with IE 9 unless you experience some compatibility problems with IE 10 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2820688

You could also try the IE 10 installation in a clean boot should there be something in the Startup menu that is conflicting.

If you suspect there are still problems with your system files and the previous steps don't resolve, then open a Command Prompt as an administrator and run either chkdsk (read-only mode) or sfc /scannow.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-04-06 at 04:36.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There is no IE 9 or IE 10 in the Installed Updates on my computer.

Do you think I need to re-install my OS ? IE 8 is not working well for me.

Please help!

Thanks, CB

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    IE 8 may not be working so well as support for it is gradually being withdrawn with the "demise" of XP.

See if resetting it to full default improves its performance, but as IE 8 was the default version for Win 7 and is part of Windows, run either a chkdsk to see if it reports anything amiss or run the sfc /scannow as suggested in my previous post.

Have you tried either or any of the suggestions I've given as progress on this can't be made unless we know what other remedial steps you have taken other to what Jerry has already suggested.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Team:

I've tried all the steps provided and nothing works as a successful solution to IE 9 or IE 10 upgrade.

Also, I have reset full default on IE 8. I absolutely have to have IE 10, so I must keep trying to solve this issue.

Run > cmd > chkdsk reports no problems. Tried sfc /scannow and it says, "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"

Please advise.

P.S. I am thinking about running Win 7 OS Re-install / Repair

Thanks, CB
    Last edited by cbbond; 2014-04-09 at 18:35.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As chkdsk reported no problems then sfc /scannow will probably also come back clean and you may well have to resort to the final solution of a repair/reinstall.

As you have an install disk (does it have SP1 ?), you could boot up with it and run an offboot sfc /scannow.

You will need to change the boot order - usually by tapping F12 as you switch on and select the CD/DVD - insert the disk then press Enter.

Press any key to boot from CD/DVD when prompted and you may get a black screen with an option to press F8 if it doesn't take you to the screen to change/confirm the language/currency.

If you have to press F8 then select Safe Mode with Command Prompt and then it will do its thing and present you with the change/confirm screen and then select Repair your Computer in the next screen.

At the command prompt type and enter bcdedit |find "osdevice" and use whichever partition letter in the following command -

Assuming C: type and enter sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows and see what that reports.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Add'l Note(s):

When I review Update History, IE 10 for Windows 7 for x64 (failed) and IE 8 Update Compatibility View List for Windows 7 for x64 (failed)

Next Step(s):

Resort to reinstall/repair Win 7 [Operating System] CD/DVD option(s)
    Last edited by cbbond; 2014-04-09 at 19:38.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Try the offboot sfc /scannow before the repair/reinstall but Event Viewer may have the errors reported which could identify why the installs are failing.

Also go Start - type reliability - press Enter and view the Reliability history to see if that has recorded anything.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-04-10 at 04:45.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I successfully installed IE 11 ! It is not the ideal version of IE for my system because Outlook Web Access is not compatible with that version of IE. However, I will use IE 11 for now.

Thanks for all the help, everybody !

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You could try adding it to the Compatibility List, but as it has managed to install IE 11, why not chance your luck by creating a restore point, uninstall the IE 11 update and try the direct download for IE 10 again http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/i...wide-languages

Remember to select the 64 bit version from the dropdown.

If it installs, go to Tools/About Internet Explorer and uncheck the auto update box and then you will need to hide the update for IE 11 in Windows Updates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast