Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2003 - is it now as insecure as XP or not?

Of course I've taken my XP computer offline so all is well there. However, I still use the Office 2003 suite on my win7 computers - simply because I prefer it to the new versions of office with the horrible ribbon. I understand that Office 2003 will no longer have security updates either. Do you recommend that I uninstall Office 2003 and use OpenOffice/LibreOffice or Kingsoft (or similar?) instead, or am I safe to keep office 2003 on my win7 online machines with malwarebytes antiexploit running in the background?
    Kind regards
    David
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Depends on where you get your Office documents from. There are exploits but only from "foreign" documents prepared by hackers and set loose on the Internet for folks to download and open.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

dwsolo (2014-04-08)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't say I have a technical answer but I still use Microsoft Office 2000 w/o any problems on both my Vista & Win7 computers
    It is also on my XP machine but I am retiring the XP

On the Microsoft Office 2000, I have installed http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ails.aspx?id=3
    --- Install this compatibility pack if you would like to open, edit, and save documents, workbooks, and presentations that were created in the newer versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint

When Windows Updates occur every month, many times there are updates referring to Office programs that I don't recall their titles
    --- At the non-profit organization I volunteer at I have to interact with a few hundred volunteers as well as many applicable organizations

Thanks
    As for Windows XP, I would not use it to interact with the Internet. Otherwise, it will probably creak on for a number of more years.
    Office 2003 is more than ten years old and is three generations back.

I understand the reticence with the Ribbon Interface. If you have not modified your Word 2003 extensively, you can get the default menus from that program in the recent versions through an Add-In. The Ribbon interface was adopted by MS because they think it is easier for new users. They may well be right. It is a real jolt for an experienced user, though.

I've grown to like the Ribbon in Word (after years) as expressed in Word 2010. I never used Word 2007 although I have it.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to those who have replied so far. :-)

I have one additional question regarding potential alternatives to Word 2003: one thing I particularly like about Word 2003 (and I assume the same function is available on Word 2010 and 2013?) is that you can create accented letters using the control key - (eg u umlaut by pressing control-shift colon then pressing the u, or c cedilla by pressing control comma then pressing c). This function appears not to be available in Open Office or Libre Office (you can use the usual "alt key with ascii code" method but it's less easy to remember the codes). Does anyone know of an open source word processor which has that control key function?
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    dwsolo - I use an AutoHotkey script to duplicate the MS Word functionality you describe, i.e. CTRL+SHIFT then : then u to produce ü and CTRL+, then c to produce ç. The AHK script works in every program, including LibreOffice. I've just used the script to produce ü and ç here in this post.

The AHK script just sits in the background waiting for the 'MS Word 2003-like' key combinations to occur then inserts the accented characters automatically. (I just checked... the key combinations also work in Word 2007 and Word 2010.)

I'm not sure there's any point in posting the code for the AHK script here 'cos you need to install AHK in order to either run the script or compile it to an executable. However, if you have a look at this topic and look at the post that begins "Thanks Veil! Here's an adaptation of your script that uses MS-Word/MS-Office style key-codes to generate the same accents." then you'll see where I got the AHK script from.

Hope this helps...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

dwsolo (2014-04-08)