New Lounger
    Thanks

Task Manager broken = FIXED with a double click

I am running Windows 7, fully updated, with Norton Internet Security. I am afraid I have malware, a worm, or a virus.

Recently, Task Manager has stopped working correctly. When I start Task Manager, a window opens with NO visible tabs, and the window displays only the contents of the "Tasks" tab. Also, when I double click a MOBI file, I get a message asking me to open it in Firefox or Thunderbird; previously MOBI files always opened in Calibre's ebook-viewer. When I tried to change the MOBI file association to open with Calibre's ebook-viewer, the system would not accept the change (but it did accept changing MP3s from MediaMonkey to Windows Media Player).

I have run a whole series of diagnostic tools, all on search of the full system and all hard disks without finding anything: Norton Virus Scan, MS Safety Scanner, MS Malicious Software Removal Tool, F-Secure Online Scanner -- all these found nothing wrong.

When I tried to copy the Task Manager exe file from my other computer, the file date and size were identical but the system would not let me copy the files into the correct Windows folder (of course this may be a restriction built into Windows, I don't know).

I did recently open an email from a friend who I later found had had their email account hacked. The message included a web page address which I (FOOLISHLY, I know) clicked on which took to me a blank page. At the point I realized I may have made a mistake and immediately closed the browser (Firefox).

Any suggestions? HELP please.

Don Miller
    Last edited by Don45; 2014-04-05 at 18:20. Reason: problem fixed with help from the lounge

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nothing to worry about, it is simply running in it's compact mode.

Simply double click on a blank area of the task manager to restore it to it's former glory.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Task Manager fixed - just a double click

So easy! Task Manager is back to normal. Thank you for the quick response. I guess all those diagnostic tools were correct after all.

Don