New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update Product Key

When I am in IE and click on Tools then Windows Update, there is an "Add Features to Windows 8.1" on the bottom left of the window. I clicked on it and it asked for my Product Key. While I first clicked on this out of curiosity, I then realized I have no idea what my product key is. So I searched it which brought up a window "Change Your Product Key". On the window I can see "Product ID" but when I type that into the Add Features to Windows 8.1 window, it won't accept 0s and 1's. I don't want to change my Windows Edition (which is the reason for putting in your Product Key) however now I am curious on where to find my Windows Product Key on my laptop which came preinstalled with Windows 8. I looked on the bottom of the laptop but it only says Windows 8. And if my "Product ID" is my Windows Product Key, why did the insertion not accept the numbers 0 and 1? Thanks for your help! Debbie

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Debbie,

Download the Magic Jelly Bean Finder or BelArc Advisor. Both will provide you with your product key. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2014-04-09)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Product ID and Product Key are two different things; and with Windows 8, Microsoft have stopped putting the Product Key on a sticker.

(To find your Product Key, you will need to install one of the many free utility programs which can display it; like The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder, as RG just said.)

Bruce