Thread: Search hijack?

Lounger
    Thanks

Search hijack?

I am having strange behavior with my searches and some new tabs. For example, if I put www.wikepedia.org into the address bar of a new tab instead of going to wikepedia I get taken to http://globalreward-zone.awardsspoon...Knowledgestyle
    and a window pops u[ saying that I need to update my media player. This sometimes happens in the search box too no matter which search engine I use. I have tried Firefox, Chrome and IE and get the same result with each one. It seems that I have picked p some malware but I can't find it. I've run a Norton full scan, Spybot and malwarebytes all to no effect. This doesn't happen with every URL - I came straight to the secrets site so it seems to be selective. Any ideas please?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    It's because you mis-spelled the website. It's
    Code:
    www.wikipedia.org
    cheers, Paul
    Last edited by Paul T; 2014-04-05 at 11:46.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

norrum (2014-04-05)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Of course you're right Paul, I must learn to spell properly but this does happen with other sites (and I did spell them correctly) so there must be some little devil lurking around. I'll run Malwarebytes again and see what it brings up.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    See what AdwCleaner can find as it's much more adept at finding malicious toolbars/add-ons - or it used to be as I don't know yet how efficient the new version of the free MBAM is.

If you don't already have MBAM v2.0, don't forget to uncheck the box for a free trial of the Premium version - unless you want it.

After AdwC's scan you can uncheck any item it lists that you want to keep and clicking on Report will show any malicious files and closing that and clicking on Clean will delete those.

Lower down the AdwCleaner page is a link to download Junkware Removal Tool which is similar to AdwCleaner.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-04-05 at 18:15.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you'll find it's the usual "register a similar domain name and hope someone mis-spells it" trick. If it happened on most sites I'd suspect malware.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The paid version of Malwarebytes, now known as Premium instead of Pro, is well worth the $25nfor a LIFETIME license while they are still available. Malwarebytes has announced that they are changing to an annual subscription model. I bought a couple extra to ensure I have enough copies for several computers.

Thanks
    www.winpatrol.com Winpatrol (free version) will protect against search engine hijinxs, protects your startup files and has HiJackThis built in so that you can see everything that runs on your PC. I've used it for years, it's one of the first programs that i install on PCs along with Malwarebytes.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One must be cautious of the LIFETIME offer, It may be the LIFETIME of the offer.
    They can also change to NEWNAME and stop offering OLDNAME... etc.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I respect Malwarebytes , and I doubt they would do that. They are continuing to honor existing lifetime license users, and I believe that would not change. I trust them.