New Lounger
    Thanks

Long Delay for Mouse/Keyboard Response

We have a computer that acts strangely when it's been turned off (properly through shutdown or via a power failure). When the system comes up, the mouse and keyboard start to move very slowly (probably about 10 seconds) between requests. This continues until I restart the computer in Safe Mode, where everything works great, then I restart and let the system boot normally. It continues to work great again until the system is turned off or the power goes out. (We work on a construction site, so we lose power more frequently than normal.) I've cleaned the temps, condensed the drive, turned off just about everything nonessential, dumped find fast, etc. Doesn't seem to matter what I do, if I don't start Windows in Safe Mode, then restart the system it just keeps on being a slug. I'm at a loss--any ideas?
    Thanks for any help.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Long Delay for Mouse/Keyboard Response

From what you've said it sounds as though the problem eventually corrects itself. True? Not true? Does it go away if you leave the machine running for any length of time or does it just continue to be a slug? Safe mode eliminates several device drivers and programs from loading at startup and that indicates that normal startup has a program or device that is misbehaving.

My first suspicion would be that you are experiencing high CPU utilization (tranlsation - your Pentium/AMD processor is getting hammered) and the slowdown is a result of that.

The best way to troubleshoot it further would be to use the System Configuration Utility (Start - run - msconfig) and disable all your startup items. This is known as "Clean Boot" troubleshooting, and while it can be tedious to do this, it's your best bet.

In effect, you will be starting with a safe mode configuration with all these things disabled. Re-enable things one at a time and reboot to see what is causing the problem.

Alternately, you could look for shareware task managers that will show you how much of your processors time is devoted to a given program. NT machines include this but unfortunately, Windows 9x does not.

Also, it might be helpful if you could post what is running when the computer exhibits this behavior by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL. Write down the program names that you see in the list and post them here.

Good luck!
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much for the reply--I appreciate any help I can get with this. The slug problem ONLY happens when the system has been shutdown (properly or improperly, or through a power outage). When you turn it back on, everything is moving in slow motion. I then select Start and restart from the shutdown menu (using the keyboard because I can see where things are slowly moving to), hold the shift key down until Windows comes up in safe mode, do absolutely nothing except select restart from the shutdown menu again, come up loading everything normally, but NOT in safe mode, and the keyboard and mouse work great until the next time the system gets turned off, intentionally or unintentionally.

I've not turned off everything in startup yet--currently have: ScanRegistry, TaskMonitor, SystemTray, VortexTray, LoadPowerPr..(?) 2 times, and HC Reminder.

I'm not buff on the Windows registry--does starting in safe mode do something to the registry that could turn something off-on when Windows comes up from a restart vs. a hard system shutdown or a power interruption?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting problem. (You should run and scream when someone tells you that by the way.)

The object here is to determine what is different between boots. When you start after a power outage or normal shutdown, you should be performing what is known as a 'cold boot.' Just for grins and giggles, try something: after you have the system performing normally and behaving as it should, do a restart - not a shutdown - and see if it continues to behave or if it acts like there's a problem.

In the startup group, you didn't include a complete list but the following are standard windows components (you can try shutting them down anyway):

ScanRegistry
    TaskMonitor
    SystemTray

To answer your question regarding the Windows registry, Safe Mode does not do anything to the registry. What Safe Mode does is to prevent all non-essential software drivers from loading, all the way from sound, CD and video on down the line.

Has the PC always exhibite this behavior, or is it a recent development? It's possible that what you are experiencing is related to hardware and is not necessarily a Windows problem. You may consider updating the system BIOS - if you don't know how there are plenty of references on how to do so - and you may also consider updating drivers for your video and sound cards, and any other peripherals you have. For now, though, keep it simple with the troubleshooting and let's first see how to make the problem appear consistently.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'll give the restart a whirl tomorrow--I've tried so many combinations that I'm not sure if I've done this. The problem started late summer this year, and we had a relatively long spell where noone dug up a power line so the PC was on continually, but now rains and high winds have started (we're on the Oregon coast) and it's not uncommon to lose power. I just finally realized a few days ago that the main temporary fix was safe mode!

The files I mentioned were displayed in Startup Programs under Software Environment from msinfo. I'll also try dumping more of them tomorrow.

Appreciate your responses to my post.