Star Lounger
    Thanks

Why do I have two SkyDrive accounts?

When I go to skydrive.com and log in with my Microsoft Account credentials, I go to my SkyDrive folder where I see my files. When I log in with my Outlook.com credentials I go to an entirely different Skydrive account where I see different files. Does this mean I have 2 SkyDrive accounts, one for each log-in? I really only want 1 SkyDrive account. When I log in with my Microsoft Account credentials, the files match the files in my desktop SkyDrive folder so I assume that is the account I want to keep. So how can I delete the SkyDrive account associated with my Outlook.com log-in without deleting my Outlook.com account which I want to keep for email, etc?

Thanks,
    Jarome

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi Jarome,

log in to both your Skydrive accounts (one at a time) and look for the pc name you used to access the account. It will only show on one of them. If its not the one you want to use, click your PC name then click 'Disconnect PC from Skydrive'. Close your browser and you will get the option to reconnect (sign-in) to the account you want.
    P.S. I have my SD folder on D: drive. This prevents losing anything if you have to use 'System Restore' or similar.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Each email address will give you its own SkyDrive account. I don't know a way around that... but you don't need to use both accounts. Just keep your stuff in your "main" account.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I sign into SD using my Microsoft Account credentials I see my computer name under “PCs”, but this is the SD account I want to keep so I can’t use “disconnect PC from SkyDrive” as you suggest. If I sign in with my Oulook.com credentials, there are no computers listed under “PCs” so I can’t use “disconnect PC from SkyDrive”. There is only one local SD folder on the desktop so I assume this is the SD account I want to keep. I have also discovered I have two Outlook.com email accounts, one for each account. If I log into Outlook.com with my Microsoft Account credentials I get an entirely different Outlook.com email account. I only want one Outlook.com account! It looks like if you have a Microsoft Account you automatically get an Outlook.com account and you also get a SD account and end up with two accounts for each. I hope this makes sense, it is very confusing to me to have all these accounts which I don’t want or need. I think the best solution is to dump them all and use gmail and google drive.

Thanks for your help,
    Jarome

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jarome View Post
    When I sign into SD using my Microsoft Account credentials I see my computer name under “PCs”, but this is the SD account I want to keep so I can’t use “disconnect PC from SkyDrive” as you suggest. If I sign in with my Oulook.com credentials, there are no computers listed under “PCs” so I can’t use “disconnect PC from SkyDrive”. There is only one local SD folder on the desktop so I assume this is the SD account I want to keep. I have also discovered I have two Outlook.com email accounts, one for each account. If I log into Outlook.com with my Microsoft Account credentials I get an entirely different Outlook.com email account. I only want one Outlook.com account! It looks like if you have a Microsoft Account you automatically get an Outlook.com account and you also get a SD account and end up with two accounts for each. I hope this makes sense, it is very confusing to me to have all these accounts which I don’t want or need. I think the best solution is to dump them all and use gmail and google drive.

Thanks for your help,
    Jarome
    Seriously, I don't see the problem. You want to use a single SkyDrive account, just use it. If you want to use the SkyDrive desktop app, it requires an autonomous login, so just use the login to the SkyDrive account you want to use.
    Each outlook.com account gets you the whole package, but you use only what you want. I have three accounts and no issues at all. I use a single SkyDrive account and the others never interfere with what I do. I use this account automatically with OneNote, share Word and OneNote documents with co-workers, there are no problems whatsoever. I am sorry, I really don't understand the dumping of the accounts, just because you are being offered more than you want to use, when that doesn't interfere with whatever you may want to do.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your suggestions. Good advice, which I shall follow.

Jarome

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jarome View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions. Good advice, which I shall follow.

Jarome
    Do let us know if you need help configuring anything .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This doesn't make complete sense to me. I have two computers connected to SkyDrive. When I click SkyDrive on the desktop (Windows 7), I open one SkyDrive folder. When I click SkyDrive on the netbook (Windows 8.1), I open another SkyDrive folder. Changes I make in one folder don't appear in the other. Ergo, when I change a file on my desktop and then attempt to open it with the netbook at the office or at Starbuck's, it isn't the same.

I don't log into my SkyDrive(s), I just click on the icon and it (they) open. How is my e-mail address (...@yahoo.com) related to my SkyDrive(s)?

When I attempted to open SkyDrive.com (following instructions in the first two messages above), I was flipped to a webpage about OneDrive, inviting me to set that up. But why should I have anything to do with any of that? I expected SkyDrive to be like Dropbox and the like. It's not clear what it really is, especially since the files in it are not accessible when I'm offline (unlike Dropbox etc.).

Puzzled,
    Tiesenhausen

Administrator
    Thanks
    Skydrive (rebranded and now called OneDrive) is associated with a Microsoft account. On the Windows 7 PC when you installed the SkyDrive application you had to configure it to logon to SkyDrive using a Microsoft account. If you used a Microsoft account when setting up the Windows 8.1 machine that is the account associated with SkyDrive on that PC. Do you use the same Microsoft account on both PCs?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the fast and clear response. One of the problems setting up my new Windows 8 machine was and is working around the Microsoft account system, trying to co-ordinate the two computers and deal with something I was barely aware existed. I couldn't fully access Windows 8 until I had logged in with my Microsoft account, when I didn't even know I had one, let alone what its password might be (I was pretty sure what it should have been, but Microsoft didn't like that one).

So as far as I'm concerned, I don't even need one Microsoft account, but now, if your guess is right, I have two. How could that be? I got the impression trying to make it work that having a Microsoft account was their way of guaranteeing one is the same unique user across various platforms. How could I use my Microsoft account identify to establish networking between the two computers if each computer has its own Microsoft account.

What to do? Do I need to do anything? I've pretty much decided to abandon SkyDrive, especially now that I've learned it's changing its name--never a sign of reliability in a person or a computer system. It may be good for something, but certainly not for storing folders and files.

Tiesenhausen

Thanks
    MS had to change the name because BSkyB (in the UK) objected to them using Sky (they claimed that they were getting queries about Skydrive). So it's nothing to do with reliability. I have a local account on my PC and don't have any problems uploading to Onedrive (Skydrive as was). All that I don't have is syncing of my PC's, but that's not a problem as I only have one!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again. By reliability, I mean, can I depend on it? Name changes are an indication to me that I cannot. Anyway, right now changes that I make in one computer's SkyDrive folder are not available in the other computer's Skydrive folder, so what's the point in maintaining it at all? Dropbox, on the other hand, always works the way it's supposed to and doesn't look like suddenly changing its name (invalidating all the links (shortcuts) I created to files and folders in it). So it's simple: Skydrive is a program that one cannot have confidence in; Dropbox is a program that one can depend on.

Sure hope somebody from Microsoft reads this, but not actually depending on it.

Best, Tiesenhausen

Administrator
    Thanks
    Millions of people depend on it. If you have syncing problems, you need to find out why. I am not a big fan of SkyDrive, but it works within its known specifications.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Hi Tiesenhausen, I have tried Dropbox and its nowhere as user friendly as SkyDrive / OneDrive if set correctly.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a similar issue having two accounts, my issue differs that I have BOTH somehow logged in at the same time. When I open OFFICE and try to find or save a file there are TWO OneDrive accounts listed and in no way shape or form tell me which is which. I would totally love to ditch the extra one but cannot find anywhere to see which is which and disable them. Any ideas?OneDrive.gif