Thread: safe mode

Star Lounger
    Thanks

safe mode

I have a Surface pro2 running Win 8.1. I would like to be able to boot in safe mode from cold start as a safety measure should windows OS fail to boot at some time in the future.At present when windows starts from cold it goes straight to the lock screen and doesn't show a boot menu. As I have no external keyboard the usual F8 isn't available ( even if it would work with a keyboard). Does anyone know if there is a way round this problem. Thanks in advance

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    F8 doesn't work with Win 8/8.1 anyway but I assume that you do have a keyboard http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-.../surface-pro-2

This is the normal way to access Safe Mode for Win 8 http://www.windows8core.com/how-to-b...nto-safe-mode/ but to get it from boot, a member (forget which) had found that by holding the Shift key and switching on/off three times booted up into Safe Mode although I may be a bit sketchy on the details, as I can't remember which thread it was in, but I would expect the author of that fix to come in and clarify any details.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

mcbn (2014-04-06)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks sudo15 for your input.I don't have a key board for the surfacepro2 and don't really want to buy one just to boot into safe mode.I shall be interested to hear re 3 times switching on/off

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Apologies - from the illustration of the Surface Pro2, I was under the impression that the slim keyboard also doubled up as a cover, but I think you'll still need a Shift key for the switch on/off 3 times method.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

mcbn (2014-04-07)

Thanks
    No need to use the shift key. Just stop Windows 8 from booting three times in a row and you will get the Recovery screen. Instructions for getting to Safe Mode from there are given here: http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-...-the-easy-way/

Jerry

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

mcbn (2014-04-07)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sodo15 No need for apologies. You are quite correct there is a keyboard\ cover for the surface pro but it is an optional extra {in the UK}
    Thanks Jerry for clarifying the useful 3 x on/off trick. It works fine on my tablet.
    For the record I have discovered that the boot options menu is only displayed on boot up if there is more than one option available. Semi logical I suppose.By using the command bcdedit I was able to add safe mode as a boot option and the boot options menu now appears each time I reboot including an advanced settings option. If anyone is interested I will post a more detailed description. Thanks again for the help

Thanks
    happy to have been of some help. Good to hear you found a method to add a Safe Mode Boot option. None of the Windows * systems I get for service have that installed, so the 3 failed boot option comes in handy. I have no idea why Microsoft removed the F8 boot option.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know if this is really true or not, but what I have heard is that the F8 option is still there, but with the new fast boot, it goes by so fast that ordinary mortals can't hit the F8 key in the brief window (small fraction of a second) that is available.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbn View Post
    Sodo15 No need for apologies. You are quite correct there is a keyboard\ cover for the surface pro but it is an optional extra {in the UK}
    Thanks Jerry for clarifying the useful 3 x on/off trick. It works fine on my tablet.
    For the record I have discovered that the boot options menu is only displayed on boot up if there is more than one option available. Semi logical I suppose.By using the command bcdedit I was able to add safe mode as a boot option and the boot options menu now appears each time I reboot including an advanced settings option. If anyone is interested I will post a more detailed description. Thanks again for the help
    I'm interested. Please post the more detailed description.

Thanks.

Thanks
    To add Safe Mode to your boot options, see:
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

The instructions are for Windows 8 but should work for 8.1 as well.

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanks for the info.

Thanks
    You're welcome.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I used a method to install the safe mode option very similar to Jerry's link which explains it more cleariy than I could.