Thanks

Updating XP For The Last Time

I woke my Dell Latitude D800 a couple of days ago to get the XP side of my dual boot updated (Windows 7 Ultimate is on the other boot). I don't use the laptop much, but there are a couple of programs installed on XP that just don't work on Windows 7, and I don't want to give them up. I don't need to be online to use these, so keeping XP and remaining safe is not an issue.

However, it has been some time since I last used XP, and there were lots of updates. I have the XP OS on a 10GB partition (Users and Program Files are on separate logical drives), and the number of updates was enough to crowd the OS to the point of a barely noticeable crawl - like overnight crawl. I needed to expand the OS partition. I cancelled the last set of updates, and booted to BootIt NG, to shrink my extended partition and use the free space to expand my OS partition.

I pooched it. I made some free space available inside my extended partition, then proceeded to slide the free space to the beginning of the extended partition so that I could shrink the extended partition itself, and make that free space available to the primary partition where the OS resides. I neglected to uncheck the "Data Only" checkbox before I clicked "Slide", but failed to notice until the moment I clicked "Slide". There were 6 logical drives in the extended partition, but 3 of them disappeared, turning into free space. BootIt NG could recover two of them, but the third was just scrambled.

I have a full drive image of the D800 from February of last year. The only thing that isn't on that image are the Windows Updates I had done toward the end of last year, so all my data, utilities and programs are intact and for all intents and purposes up to date. Everything I've done on the Windows 7 side has duplicates on my desktop and my E5420 laptop, so I can get all of that back, as well.

So I'm currently in the process of restoring that full drive image from a USB HDD, and from there I will go back through the process of resizing my OS partition before I run Windows Update. I'll also make doubly sure that all my ducks are in a row before I commit to any changes. I'll post an update to this thread when I get things settled in.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Drive image restored and verified, OS partition expanded, updates downloaded, beginning the installation of 54 updates, the last of which is the End of Support for XP notification. I'll post the results.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Got everything except an update for .NET Framework 1.1 SP1. That one won't install, even after trying the Microsoft Fix It. So I'm good, will keep XP offline; I don't need to be online to use the couple of old programs I want to keep.

Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After updating, I disabled Windows updates. Maybe will free up more cpu cycles now.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I remember having a similar issue where I could not install an update for .NET Framework 1.1 SP1

This is the solution that I found (from bleepingcomputer) and it worked for me. I copied the instructions since I had 5 XP computers at the time. Don't know if it will help or not...

The update failed to install because it could not find "netfx.msi". This put it back on the computer allowing the update.

Download dotnetfx from here

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ion.aspx?id=26

Right click on the file and extract. Double click on extracted folder and make sure you have a file called netfx.msi

Then run Windows Update and install the update for .NET Framework 1.1 SP1. When you receive this error:

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network service that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'netfx.msi' in the box below"

Click on Browse and point to netfx.msi

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft, I believe, is open sourcing .NET; if so, then there may be support for XP for .NET applications for quite a long while.

Lounger
    Thanks
    And no more taps on shoulder from Windows Genuine Disadvantage that it has decided (in its infinite wisdom) your copy of Windows is illigitimate!