Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

XP is a long way from 'gone'

It looks like XP is going to hang around for some; just not for us.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Bruce,

Maybe so but MS is now resorting to scare tactics. I was working on my cousins machine last week and every time I rebooted (this is XP) MSE came up with an Orange bordered box in the bottom right corner warning that support stopped on 4/8 even though there have been several articles in the computer press that MSE on XP would continue to get updates, at least for signatures. Is anyone else seeing these popups?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RG, yes those popups are appearing on myfriends computers who have XP
    The message is "Support for this operating system is ending. When this occurs Microsoft Security Essentials will no longer be supported and your PC might be unprotected. To make sure your PC stays protected, click the link below to see our end-of-support guidance for operating systems"

I went to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...d-support-help and part of the message is
    "Microsoft will also stop providing Microsoft Security Essentials for download on Windows XP on this date. (If you already have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, you will continue to receive antimalware signature updates for a limited time, but this does not mean that your PC will be secure because Microsoft will no longer be providing security updates to help protect your PC"

I would llike to mention I have a Win7 & Vista computer with MSE and everything is normal

In Windows 8, I found Windows Defender replaces Microsoft Security Essentials
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc.../windows8.aspx

So I'm wondering
    Will Microsoft Security Essentials support continue with Vista and Win7?
    Will Windows Defender be a reliable security protection program in Win8?

Thanks
    I've seen the warning popups, as well. But evidently government agencies in The Netherlands, UK and USA still have a few XP machines running, and are paying Million$ to Microsoft for Extended Support. They'll keep getting security updates/patches, but the rest of us (taxpayers, footing the bill) won't.

My Dell D800 is still on XP (dual boot with Windows 7) for a couple of programs that won't run on Windows 7, but they don't need net access, so I'll just stay offline with that machine when I'm booting XP.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    The warning popup was included in the last XP windows update.
    I choose not to install it.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Yeah, I'm hearing the same XP corporate/government support thing; 200 dollars a pop per machine, doubled every year thereafter.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Bruce,

Maybe so but MS is now resorting to scare tactics. I was working on my cousins machine last week and every time I rebooted (this is XP) MSE came up with an Orange bordered box in the bottom right corner warning that support stopped on 4/8 even though there have been several articles in the computer press that MSE on XP would continue to get updates, at least for signatures. Is anyone else seeing these popups?
    I saw the MSE popup on a friend's XP machine. I too was puzzled by it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    The warning popup was included in the last XP windows update.
    I choose not to install it.
    I chose not to install this one too. lolol

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just checked for the last updates, and at this point they are not available yet, but I got a pop-up for Microsoft Security Essentials that says,

"Support for this operating system has ended, which means Microsoft Security Essentials is no longer supported and your PC is at Risk, blah, blah, blah"

Which is not true. I wonder if there will be a special patch to tell Microsoft Security Essentials to stop popping up this message, or if this is deliberate harassment from Microsoft.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "...deliberate harassment from Microsoft." = YES ~ It's all about the money.

I'm retired, and I can't afford the "M$ tax" on a new PC (plus software-compatible upgrades & hardware replacements) every few years. I have 2 well-worn Win XP Dell Optiplex 755s in the attic for spare parts.

I have *never* patched my production machine (except to upgrade to SP-3.) I disabled the Automatic Updates (now known as 'Windows Update') service years ago. I don't drink the M$ "Kool-aid" and I've never been hacked.

As long as I can keep a Win XP ESET NOD32 anti-virus signatures updated and in-license, I'm not going to "upgrade" ANYTHING. If, for any reason, I have to abandon Windows XP, then I'll install a Linux distro.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't say above that I'm doing this on Windows XP Mode virtual machine running on Windows 7.

When I start the machine I get a pop-up that says:

Microsoft Security Essentials (in a blue title bar)
    Requires Your attention (in a red title bar)
    "Support for this operating system has ended, (in the body of the message)
    which means Microsoft Security Essentials is no
    longer supported and your PC is at Risk. To make
    sure your PC stays protected, click the link below
    to see our end-of-support guidance for operating
    systems."
    End-of-support guidance for operating systems (link to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d-support-help)

the "guidance" is to upgrade to Windows 8.1, or buy a new computer, although they fill an entire page with bafflegab to say that.

At the bottom of the page, they ask if it was useful. I said no, and when they asked what they could do to make it useful, I said

provide some guidance for Windows XP users to protect their computers

I just checked again for the last updates, and now they are available

1) Security Update for Windows XP (KB2922229)

2) Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2014 (KB890830)

3) Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows XP (KB2936068)

They seemed to install Okay

Thanks
    The last available updates for XP OS will remain available for a while (MS doesn't specify how long), so XP won't stop updating as of April 8, there just won't be any new OS updates after April 8. So, if you've updated XP on April 8, you're as updated with the OS as you're going to get. If you haven't updated XP yet, the updates you might be missing are still available (for a while, anyway).

Also, MS will continue signature updates for XP MSE for a while, but again, they don't specify how long. There will be no further updates for the MSE engine for XP.

So you can continue to update signatures for MSE after April 8, but at some point in the future (they don't say when), those also are likely to stop.

Similarly, updates for IE will likely remain available for a while. I haven't read anything specific on that issue, however.

Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Also, MS will continue signature updates for XP MSE for a while, but again, they don't specify how long. There will be no further updates for the MSE engine for XP.

So you can continue to update signatures for MSE after April 8, but at some point in the future (they don't say when), those also are likely to stop.
    Microsoft have specified how long, for both MSE signature and engine updates:

Microsoft will continue to provide updates to our antimalware signatures and engine for Windows XP users through July 14, 2015.

Microsoft antimalware support for Windows XP

Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Similarly, updates for IE will likely remain available for a while. I haven't read anything specific on that issue, however.
    Not if you mean for Internet Explorer 8 on Windows XP:

Will Internet Explorer 8 still be supported on Windows XP?
    As a component of Windows, Internet Explorer follows the support lifecycle of the Windows operating system on which it is installed.

Windows XP End of Support FAQs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    When I start the machine I get a pop-up that says:

Microsoft Security Essentials (in a blue title bar)
    Requires Your attention (in a red title bar)
    "Support for this operating system has ended, (in the body of the message)
    which means Microsoft Security Essentials is no
    longer supported and your PC is at Risk. To make
    sure your PC stays protected, click the link below
    to see our end-of-support guidance for operating
    systems."
    End-of-support guidance for operating systems (link to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d-support-help)

the "guidance" is to upgrade to Windows 8.1, or buy a new computer, although they fill an entire page with bafflegab to say that.

At the bottom of the page, they ask if it was useful. I said no, and when they asked what they could do to make it useful, I said

"provide some guidance for Windows XP users to protect their computers "
    On another page, which explains what you see from Microsoft Security Essentials, they do provide some extra guidance for XP users:

If you must continue to use Windows XP, please make sure that your logged in User Account does not have administrative rights.

If it does, go to Control Panel/User Accounts and create a new User Account with Administrative rights. Log off of your current account and log in with the new account. Go to Control Panel/User Accounts to modify your primary account(s) to have Limited User rights. Log off of the new account and back into your preferred account for day to day use.

Make sure that all installed programs are updated to the latest available and patched versions from the vendor, especially Java (www.java.com), Flash and Adobe Reader (www.adobe.com).

Microsoft Security Essentials 4.5.216.0 Potentially Unprotected on Windows XP

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Microsoft will continue to provide updates to our antimalware signatures and engine for Windows XP users through July 14, 2015.

Not if you mean for Internet Explorer 8 on Windows XP:
    Thanks for the info, Bruce. As for IE, I was considering IE 9 as an update for IE 8, but thanks for pointing that out, also.

Sometimes my fingers are in gear before my mind is.

Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast