Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up This works and is secure!

As a Microsoft Certified Engineer for more that 30 years this is what I do.
    What is the main software that you are using, also most of the reasons Microsoft stops supporting Operating systems is for guess what $$$$$$$$$$$$$. The most security issue with Microsoft is Internet Explorer and old office.
    I still use XP Pro with OPENDNS DNSCrypt also for Browser Comodo Dragon, also a free VPN like VPNReactor and SecurityKISS Tunnel. The Office can be replaced with free Kingsoft Office, for Email Mozilla Thunderbird it looks for spam and other junk. Make sure all of your Virus and software like Advanced Systemcare is looked at daily.
    Any questions let me know.

Thanks

I was wondering in the case that I want to do a from new install of XP if/after MS removes updates, is there an iso with all the updates needed to bring XP uptodate? I know each month one used to be available.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thinking one can keep using XP and remain secure is living in a fool's paradise. There are no new critical updates being provided by Microsoft to individual users. No malware detector will prevent infection via the multiple security holes which will be discovered shortly (think media and picfile exploits of the past, for instance). So no XP system should be connected to the internet.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    I was wondering in the case that I want to do a from new install of XP if/after MS removes updates, is there an iso with all the updates needed to bring XP uptodate? I know each month one used to be available.
    Not from Microsoft. You may be able to search around and find something. But be careful.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marymouse View Post
    As a Microsoft Certified Engineer for more that 30 years this is what I do.
    What is the main software that you are using, also most of the reasons Microsoft stops supporting Operating systems is for guess what $$$$$$$$$$$$$. The most security issue with Microsoft is Internet Explorer and old office.
    I still use XP Pro with OPENDNS DNSCrypt also for Browser Comodo Dragon, also a free VPN like VPNReactor and SecurityKISS Tunnel. The Office can be replaced with free Kingsoft Office, for Email Mozilla Thunderbird it looks for spam and other junk. Make sure all of your Virus and software like Advanced Systemcare is looked at daily.
    Any questions let me know.
    You do realize that Thunderbird is no longer supported?
    Thunderbird does have unpatched security issues which may never be fixed. Efforts to get Open Source Thunderbird development going have not to my knnowledge gone anywhere.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    I was under the impression that there's no longer any development of Tbird but that support continues with security updates, with v24.4 being the latest version issued on 18th March. Is this wrong then?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm running a 2003 Toshiba Satellite P25 with XP Home. I doubt very much that I can upgrade this to Win7, and I know it won't work on Vista or 8. So until I have money to buy a new computer--not in the near future--I'm staying with XP.

Thanks for the headsup on Kingsoft Office. I'd never heard of it before and since I have Office XP, I'm going to check it out.

A couple of questions:
    1. Is there a good replacement for Windows Live Mail that will allow me to set the font size in HTML emails? Many of the ones I receive (not Windows Secrets, thank goodness!) come in mousetype with a minuscule "Can't read this? Read on the web!" link that's very difficult to find and not in every email. There was a setting in Outlook Express that allowed me to do use ctrl-scroll wheel to change font size in the preview and message panes,, but it's not in WLMail. I prefer not to use webmail as my main email client.
    2. What about installing Java 8 on XP? I'm getting the same error I see mentioned in other forums, but the workaround is too technical for my non-tech mind.

Thanks
    . Is there a good replacement for Windows Live Mail that will allow me to set the font size in HTML emails? Many of the ones I receive (not Windows Secrets, thank goodness!) come in mousetype with a minuscule "Can't read this? Read on the web!" link that's very difficult to find and not in every email. There was a setting in Outlook Express that allowed me to do use ctrl-scroll wheel to change font size in the preview and message panes,, but it's not in WLMail. I prefer not to use webmail as my main email client.
    You can change the font size in WLM 2012 by clicking on the dropdown in the upper left corner > Options > Mail > Read tab > and click on the Fonts button at the bottom.

Also,Hold down the Ctrl key and roll the mouse wheel to change zoom. Works in WLM, all versions of Office and all browsers.

Jerry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12