2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Express links won't work

The links in my friend’s Outlook Express emails (WinXP SP3 with IE 8.0) do not work and I have not been able to solve the problem for him. I’ve tried every solution I could find on the web, including uninstalling IE 8 and then reinstalling it again, to no avail. Can anyone help me fix his problem? Thanks.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I.E.8 is so old, and OE is ancient and not updated in a long time. Security updates to I.E.8 at this point only hamstring it's function even more for the sake of security. I don't think there is a fix using those two programs but if you substitute Chrome as the default browser for OE everything may still work as it used to with OE.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

rjstorms (2014-04-11)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try Microsoft's Fix It: Hyperlinks are not working in Outlook

It's listed for Outlook, not OE; but since it just restores an .html setting in the registry it may work just as well for OE.

(This setting gets screwed up if someone has Chrome as their default browser and then uninstalls it.)

Bruce

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

rjstorms (2014-04-11)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As of 8th April, Outlook Express no longer receives critical updates from Microsoft. Ditto for XP. Both XP and OE should therefore now be considered sitting ducks for hackers. I would refuse to provide any help at all re your friend's system until if and when they upgrade to a newer secure operating system (Windows 8 or Windows 7). After they upgrade they'll probably want to install Windows Live Mail, aka Windows Mail, which is the successor to Outlook Express.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bigbadsteve For This Useful Post:

rjstorms (2014-04-11)